New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XLVIII: I say Ol' Chap, how about those Equestrians?

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Before I think about anything else, Trixie, I'm so sorry for you for what you have to go through. I wish that things improve for you as soon as possible.
    Thanks again, everypony

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    On a side note, is the Ask Pinkamina tumblr still up and about? All this talk of cupcakes reminded me of its existence.
    Miss Pinkamena one? Last time I saw pics from it, it's even worse now >_<

Also, for INoKnowNames' sake, what are the other "to be avoided" fics that are big these days? I know cupcakes, and I hear rainbow factory is either of the same vain or really boring, depending on who you talk to. What else is there?
    Well, I hear there was one about Trixie helping CMC, but I also heard that abomination was wiped off the net, thank me >_<
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    There is one about Big Mac and the three fillies you should avoid. I never read it, so the name isn't burned into my memory, but apparently it was purposefully written to be worse than Cupcakes.
    Hmmm, good to know. Worse as in Full Life Consequences worse, or worse as in grimdark worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Derpiboo.ru is the de facto heir to ponibooru, although it's not yet as all-encompassing. I personally am with the google crowd though.
    Ah, that is it, forgot the name of the new place.

And I do remember Land Before Time. The original was superb and a wonderful childhood movie with some legitimate dark themes (Sharptooth was scary as hell when you're 6). All follow-up movies do not exist, there was only one movie and I refuse to hear otherwise.
    Oh man, I remember those movies. Two was where I was at when I was 6, had it on vhs. Don't think I ever watched the full movie of the first one. Yeah, the higher the number, the worse those movies were.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

3. - Top - End - #33

Okay, here's the thing about the pony songs. They are super cute, and yet they're actually quite melodic and many of them are very good. On your first watch through, listen to them, cringe, and don't worry about it. Go listen to some remixes or something later, Eurobeat Brony and Living Tombstone make really good ones, and Imnotacleverpony made several excellent almost original remix pieces based on melodies from the show. Then go back later and listen to some of those songs again.
    I have noticed that every single song from the show will invariably make me smile at least briefly when it comes up on my mp3 player. Even "We are the Cutie Mark Crusaders", even the secondary songs from "A Friend In Deed". No matter what mood I'm in, they will always get at least a little smile from me.

That, I think, is Daniel Ingram's superpower. And also his cutie mark. He's got a two-for-one.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Also, for INoKnowNames' sake, what are the other "to be avoided" fics that are big these days? I know cupcakes, and I hear rainbow factory is either of the same vain or really boring, depending on who you talk to. What else is there?
    There is one about Big Mac and the three fillies you should avoid. I never read it, so the name isn't burned into my memory, but apparently it was purposefully written to be worse than Cupcakes.

Spoiler
    Show
    THERE ARE MULTIPLE PEOPLE, WILLINGLY WRITING THINGS LIKE THIS! ABOUT FRIENDLY CARTOONS!

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Derpiboo.ru is the de facto heir to ponibooru, although it's not yet as all-encompassing. I personally am with the google crowd though.
    I don't like relying too much on google. Every time someone searches on google, the hive gets a little bit stronger.

When the G-Force wages war against us all, we're going to be the underdogs...

Okay, here's the thing about the pony songs. They are super cute, and yet they're actually quite melodic and many of them are very good. On your first watch through, listen to them, cringe, and don't worry about it. Go listen to some remixes or something later, Eurobeat Brony and Living Tombstone make really good ones, and Imnotacleverpony made several excellent almost original remix pieces based on melodies from the show. Then go back later and listen to some of those songs again.
    I could probably go for the cringe worthy music right now....

And I do remember Land Before Time. The original was superb and a wonderful childhood movie with some legitimate dark themes (Sharptooth was scary as hell when you're 6). All follow-up movies do not exist, there was only one movie and I refuse to hear otherwise.
    ..... Anarion, I like your style. Like, a lot.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding Cupcakes, specifically, it's an interesting story because Pinkie Pie does have a weird side to her personality. Without spoiling anything, watch the first season and there will be a moment, and you will know this moment, where you can see how Cupcakes could actually fit.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Sweet Apple Massacre I believe, and I've never heard it's badwrong reputation contradicted, unlike the other two.

Not touching that one with a non-Euclidean barge-pole.

Frankly, the problem with most such fics is that they just aren't very good, the horrible content, though an important feature, is almost secondary for them.
    This is also kind of the secret of the awesomeness of the Rainbow-Dash-Presents series.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hmmm, good to know. Worse as in Full Life Consequences worse, or worse as in grimdark worse?
    As in darker and grosser, by adding a lot of sexual stuff to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Sweet Apple Massacre I believe, and I've never heard it's badwrong reputation contradicted, unlike the other two.

Not touching that one with a non-Euclidean barge-pole.
    Yeah, that one.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2012-07-03 at 07:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #38
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Someone should roll out the big list of awesome pony music again. It seems like it gets posted every thread.

These seem redundant. If there were no sequels or remakes, why would there be a need to establish you are referring to the original?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Miss Pinkamena one? Last time I saw pics from it, it's even worse now >_<
    Ah, it has? I remember it was pretty bad, but the art was pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Well, I hear there was one about Trixie helping CMC, but I also heard that abomination was wiped off the net, thank me >_<
    Oh Trixie you devilish fiend, stealing the ponies from the cradle are you? Though one wonders what exactly you were helping them with....

I am going to say homework, regular old homework.

Oh, and INo, don't worry, not all things with the pony fandom are grimdark and butchering, some is really good, like this. Friendship is Witchcraft, some nice fandubs, though the more recent ones are a slight drop in quality I think.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    These seem redundant. If there were no sequels or remakes, why would there be a need to establish you are referring to the original?
    Asian pirate ponies making cheap knockoffs.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

I loved the movie, though my family has nine of the dozen or so sequels so far.

Sweet Apple Massacre
    My Critique of the above fic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    The heck? I miss a few days and we're halfway through a new thread. I've missed an entire thread.

But, doesn't seem like much has changed. Still warring between tribes and OFCs, so life goes on.

(How would someone like an explanation of how the OFC works? I've got a couple theories, mostly involving antimatter.)

Time for a new issue of Balmas's Fanfic Corner! I read this crap so you don't have to!

Loved: Mystery Pinkie Pie Theater 3000
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh, Mystery Science Theater. Would someone please explain why snide sarcasm at everything makes everything funnier?

When I read the first chapter, I was instantly hooked. They managed to make Cupcakes funny. Snide comments and deadpan snarking abounds, as the author deftly slides in things that you'd probably never think of, but that now seem natural.

The characters consist of Rarity, Twilight, and Author, trapped in a cruel Pinkie Pie prank, and forced to review Cupcakes. It's interesting--at least to me--that you can have characters be and act out of character, while still retaining their voice. (That's probably more a comment on the quality of the show than anything else, though.)

Take these quotes:

"She watched helplessly as her wing flew over her head

Twilight: And out the window, setting out for a life on its own."

" 'Oh Dash, you didn’t do anything. It’s just that your number came up and, well, I don’t make rules.'

Rarity: All rules are designed and upheld by the Council of Rather Silly Fic Ideas."

That formatting is one thing that I might complain about. The text alternates so often between snippet and snark that the page winds up looking like someone went zebra-tipping. Course, anything less could be considered lazy.

I read my way through the first and second chapter, and then skipped the third to get to... [dramatic roll of thunder, please...] Sweet Apple Massacre.

Hate Loathe Cannot adequately express distaste for: Sweet Apple Massacre. I will provide no link to this monstrosity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wall of text incoming!
    Spoiler
    Show

If there is one glaring flaw to MPPT3K, it is that you must still read the fic in question in order to understand the snark. Although their interpretation of Cupcakes had me giggling, no amount of snark can save this fic. Only cleansing fire can grant me the satisfaction I desire.

I had heard of Sweet Apple Massacre only as an aside, a note on the TvTropes page for Cupcakes. It was listed as a spiritual successor for Cupcakes, so I was expecting gore. I also knew that it involved Big Mac and the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

What I didn't know is that this is a fic that, speaking in terms of movie ratings, stomps gleefully on G, tramples PG, gores PG-13, shoots past R, and surpasses NC-17 before eagerly leaping into SE: Shouldn't Exist.

This is the first fic I've read that I physically felt ill after reading. About halfway through reading the bastardized sporking from the Mystery Theater crew, I quit. My head was pounding, fizzling from the effort of trying to reconcile the dissonance between this fic and any nearby reality.

To imagine Sweet Apple Massacre, start with Cupcakes. Standardize the spelling, fix the grammar errors. Put Big Mac in Pinkie's place, and substitute the Cutie Mark Crusaders for Rainbow Dash. That's a starting place.

Now, imagine that while Big Mac is cutting apart our favorite fillies, he's gleefully raping them in creative ways. We get to share in this joy in graphic detail. Think eyes plucked out so that there's another orifice to rape.

Yeah. It's like that.

I'm not one for clopfics in general. I'll skip over sex scenes even when it's coming from one of my more favored artists. So, to wade through this atrocity took me two sessions, a seven hour break, and constant effort not to think about what I was reading. Even then, I had to skim towards the end.

I have no idea why this fic exists. I don't know whether the author was high when he wrote it, or if he's just sick in the head. It's like if Cupcakes and all the rule 34 of the internet came together and had a sick, gory, cthulhulian lovechild.

The only redeeming quality that I can see is that there are no blatant grammatical errors. Of course, I could have missed some, since most of my conscious mind was currently leaking out of my nostrils in an attempt to escape.

To whomever wrote this fic: I'm sorry for you. This is clearly a deliberate attempt to destroy all that is good and holy about FiM. It involves as many
    disgusting themes as possible. The only conclusion I can draw is that this is a trollfic with a parchment-thin disguise. To you, my good sir, goes the dubious honor of being The Worst Fanfic I've ever read.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go find a flamethrower and about four gallons of brain bleach.

Cheerilee's Garden
    Pretty much anything that Mystery Pinkie Pie Theater finds reason to spork.

Confession time: "Cupcakes" was the first MLP fanfic I ever read. I read Cupcakes before I ever watched My Little Pony. I found it by accident through TvTropes, read the "Grimdark as crap Oh God know what you're getting into" tag, and figured, What the heck?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

My life is a misery of potato salad1

Quote Originally Posted by SynissterSyster View Post
    I dare say that the fanon here is getting to be to the level of Harry Potter (imo). The amount of fanfics and art is growing more each day. *That being said I have read more fics about this fandom then I have for other fandoms I been apart of. *Heck I even started to get into drawing again so I can put up my own fan art. *I still suck at art so it will take a lot of practice. *I believe I am rambling in this post but that is okay.

Thanks again all and keep up the super work!!
    We've got a couple of draw threads an such. I suggest looking up the first Thanqol Learns To Draw and reading all the neat things there.

He's also really high-profile and involved in an active project to portray the fandom (whereas Tara is just fun and likes trolling and Lauren Faust is amazing but also doing other stuff right now).
    This is true.
    Tara strong is like Thanqol, but with less hats and better taste in dresses. (with apologies to Thanqol's taste in dressed if he's actually good at it)

You need all of these things. What makes bronies impressive, and what I think De Lancie has latched on to, is a combination of a desire to do some good in the world and sustained enthusiasm. There are many charities and wonderful organizations, but they rarely move people. Everyone says they care about giving food to the homeless and helping eradicate disease and poverty and so forth, but many people do not act. Bronies act. Sometimes that's because we care about friendship and community and the values of the show. And sometimes, it's because somebody saw a space marine with a Fluttershy cutie mark, it made that person feel happy, and that happiness translated into spreading enthusiasm around.

Also, keep in mind that the people who go to a convention are people that are really passionate about the things they love. And passion can transfer. 4000 people went to Bronycon, and I can say confidently that many of them are either working or will be working in the future. And if they hang on to the values of love and tolerance, charity and enthusiasm that the fandom espouses, I think that will translate into those people doing good in the world later in life, independently from just spreading pony images and talking about a cartoon.
    True, and I hadn't thought of that. I reserve the right to make a face when someone's name tag says "ask me about my harem" though. There are certain con activities I wish would change. This con had some really good hygiene, for example! I hope that continues.

I wouldn't say never do something if you're ashamed. Sometimes people feel shame going into something, get there, and realize it's different than what they expected.

What I would say is don't do anything that you really feel is bad, or wrong, or that makes you unhappy. If you're actually worried that other people will give you a hard time for liking ponies, watch the show in secret and talk about it over the Internet. But if you're all by yourself and all you can think about is how other people might make fun of you if you get caught, you might be a bit too paranoid.

Also, keep in mind that if you're feeling so ashamed, you might not be giving other people in your life enough credit. Not all of them will love My Little Pony with you, but many will just give a bemused smile and move on with little or no change to how they treat you. I've personally introduced a few friends, who said they kind of liked the show but don't go out of their way to watch it, which has been fine. I got one girlfriend really into it, but sadly we broke up a while ago for other reasons. And my parents found me out last summer when we were all listening to "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" and I answered their unexpected fandom question very confidently. And both my parents basically shrugged and moved on.
    Yes.

Penny Arcade was my first, followed by xkcd, and then Ozy and Millie, which went from totally mainstream to "how did I end up here?" I didn't get into OoTS into way later when a guy in my D&D group made a Miko reference.
    Hm. I think 8-bit theatre wa my first actual web comic. That or unicorn slime.*
    I found out about OOTS from a D&D player who really liked OOTS. There was no reference, just "read this it's funny and ha D&D stuff".

Ponythreaders, identify yourselves, I want to know who you are.
    I kind of want to get permission from folks first. Don't wanna out them y'know?

Me? I'm the one with the edges of a black changeling shirt poking out from under the sleeves and lower hem of my current shirt :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

*looks around*

Well, ponythread is still here, I suppose, and appears to be nominally not on fire or something... Surprised we're on the same thread, actually.

Should I take this as a good sign...?
    I was preoccupied! I demand a mulligan!

You should have seen it. We were all self-regulating without you or the mods. We even spun out an offtopic discussion into a different thread. Basically, you've succeeded in pushing us out of the nest and now we can fly.
    The Rainbow Dash makes this the cutest statement ever until the next ever-cutest statement

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Cuz everyone had that version of their normal avvies and I wanted one just for fun?
    Most parents have a saying, Involving jumping, bridges, and groupthink.

Tht's because I said that like every 5 pages and they just won't believe me when I say that I don't like them yet..... they even got mad at me for it.
    It was the way you were saying it, honestly. You didn't say you didn't like pony stuff yet, you kept saying you didn't like ponies, they held no appeal, the art was terrible, too cute, not explosive enough and shipping disgusted you. Every. Post.

That's like me going to a dance club, and interrupting all the dancing ponies and saying "man! That looks like fun! I wish I could have fun like that. Except I hate dancing, and the way you dance is terrible."

You've gotten a lot better, but that is why Everypony got upset back when.

Dude, I don't even know anything about the show, don't read fics and said that I just dislike the aesthetics.... How exactly can't that be believed? and no denial, it's tru
    You don't have to be a brony, but all the evidence sure provides us a couple of giggles

In all seriousness, does it bother you? I mean, we will stop if it does. But... It just looks like you're playing along really. Luna is cute, RD is best pony, pony avvy, but I don't like ponies. That's like, you're doing it on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by Zigg'rrauglurr View Post
    As far as I understood, there was a vote to make voting not count. So I postulated that therefore that voting didn't count making voting count. But yeah that's why I sent my question to the tumblr.
    I
    Bwuh
    What?

Just because one has walked into the gates of Hell and taken a look around does not mean they are automatically condemned.
    That's actually exactly how hell works. It changes you. You can leave the physical boundaries of the place you associate with hell, but you take hell with you when you go.

Now, with a little editing...

Quote Originally Posted by Starry Notions, ancient pony historian
    That's actually exactly how hellPony works. It changes you. You can leave the physical boundaries of the place you associate with hellPony, but you take hellPony with you when you go.
    So, there we have it.

Welcome to the Herd.

Spoiler
    Show

Voting for My Little Pony 48: I say ol' chap, how about those Equestrians?

Also, when are we going to see the results of all of those best of polls?
    I would also vote for this! In fact I did. I just fudged the time travel...

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    No preference, as long as the number's correct.

Man, Pony thread is FLYING today
    Eeeyup.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    ...Or a goose?
    Silly Luka. If a goose quacks, it's a duck.
    Geese honk.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Your adorable, did you know that? *Teleports next to Po, raises pistol.*

*Release her. Now.
    Huh. Teleportation? What ever happened to "I'm an engineer, not a wizard"?

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Really, Silent Night? You can't tell the difference between my wife and her younger sister? The younger sister that you've regularly teamed up with against me? I'm starting to think all of those OFC blasts to the head are starting to affect you.
    Boffiekins, we need to save her from that monster!
    *sigh* Fine. You do realize, Silent, that I can send other things through those portals besides pudding, don't you?*
    *opens portal directly above Silent Night*

Spoiler
    Show

> blame OFC for odd behavior
    > utilize OFC as correction device
    > Profit

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Well yeah, but I have a hard time getting all the shapes to look right when they're all together. I'm not an artist. [Obligatory "Yet." for Thanqol and everybody else.]

Eh, I'll see if I can't rustle up something for the 1-10 scale question.
    I'm not an artist. I'm a handy scribbler, but Thanqol and DD and Tiki and Kairaven and Inkwell are artists.

But doesn't mean I am not sufficient, I think. You too, can be sufficient! If being the greatest artist in THE WORLD! isn't your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I was roaming around, and spent most of day 2 watching the panels. *Had my "Free as a butterfly" shirt on, made by fellow MMO-Championers, and somewhat famous pony artist Valcron. *I wrote Pendulous on my badge, just in case, so it was probably just some really bad luck.
    aye. Day two for me, was
    > wake up
    > loudly declare intent to buy a specific item
    > find out convention is being evacuated for reasons unrelated to potential unicorn magic2
    > eat breakfast
    > go to convention, find out they sold out yesterday
    > flip a table
    > get yelled at for flipping a table
    > start taking pictures

And it all kinda blurs from there. I was searching for ya, but for some reason "look at panels" never occurred to me. They are so rarely something I would consider worth my time at a convention... Darn.

I'll just have to like, post my room number next time.

On de Lancie, I still think it's odd. *He's giving so much praise to people he admits he doesn't know. *I'm all for the documentary, but he just felt very presumptuous.
    I've only met several dozen military folks, but I still respect the lot.

Delancie doesn't quite like every individual there. He likes the emergent pattern. He is encouraging the promulgation of that pattern, specifically the nicer, less cliquish bits.

An there is always my fallback; Thanqol.
    Thanqol is a brony.
    Thanqol will probably change the world.
    Now we play the waiting game, and see if we can go for the high score in the meantime.

Speaking of, here's his panel for those who haven't seen.

I don't know if I mentioned, but the audio quality on that video is what it sounded like the whole time there. *It was terrible. *I've been to a concert before where I couldn't even hear the singer because of the audio (and was confirmed when I saw a video on Youtube of it). *Really bad. *Would have been much better if these awesome panels would have been easier to hear.
    The sound quality was very... Interesting. I had the magical power of always wing somewhere that the speakers didn't interfere with themselves and I could hear perfectly. Whenever I let somepony else choose the seats? Garbled noise.

It was unfortunate, though. A lot of amateur con errors. Volume was too middling, so the soft speakers still sounded mumbly and the loud speakers created issues. Several non-professional presenters were asked to repeat because they couldn't keep the mic by their mouths. An there was that unfortunate minute-long feedback spike at one point, where all the VAs just sort of looked at the presenter until he moved his mic away.

1: by the time I post this, my life ceased being a misery. But boy was that unfun.
    2: this is my story, and I am sticking to it.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here here!

My mother once told me that I wore out our original version in VHS and that the copy we still have now is actually the second.

I can still recite the Pizza Hut commercial.... @.@

Also... Whatever you do, don't Google "Land before time ponies" unless you WANT to cry.
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I love my filly~

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

That's actually exactly how hell works. It changes you. You can leave the physical boundaries of the place you associate with hell, but you take hell with you when you go.
    I'll agree to disagree with you there. For some people, Hell might be surprising when you first see it, but otherwise for those not willing to fall to sin, it's nothing.

So, there we have it.

Welcome to the Herd.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll consider the invitation another time.

... although considering the above review that I should not have allowed myself to read, I think my soul could use a hug....
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-07-03 at 07:27 PM.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I loved the movie, though my family has nine of the dozen or so sequels so far.

Sweet Apple Massacre
    My Critique of the above fic:
    Cheerilee's Garden
    Pretty much anything that Mystery Pinkie Pie Theater finds reason to spork.

Confession time: "Cupcakes" was the first MLP fanfic I ever read. I read Cupcakes before I ever watched My Little Pony. I found it by accident through TvTropes, read the "Grimdark as crap Oh God know what you're getting into" tag, and figured, What the heck?
    Cheerilee's Garden actualy got another chapter. I had the...unfortunate pleasure of finding it when it was just a one-shot, and I am sorry to say that it's now nearly twice as long as it was before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

... although considering the above review that I should not have allowed myself to read, I think my soul could use a hug....
    *Hugs* I feel you man. I hate slashers. In just about every form in fact.

Also, now I have to go grab my nephew so I can watch The Land Before Time again.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2012-07-03 at 07:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh hey Ponythread, I see you've started a new thread that's...nice. Anyway Princess Celsetia has me on vacation in Hoofington Beach I'm pretty exhausted. I probably won't be dropping by very much so see you in a few weeks bye!
    In the arena of logic I fight UNARMED!!!

Current Avatar by zimmerwald1915
    Former Avatars by the amazing Dirtytabs
    Former avatar 1

Former Avatar 2

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone else remember The Land Before Time?
    Oh, I remember those movies.

I remember them because I have been a fan of dinosaurs since, well, before I can remember.

A proper lay palentologist, who, even at age four, was able and willing to pick holes in and correct the inaccuracies in the for-school TV programs shown at school to the teacher (who did, in fact, take my corrections on board, knowing as she did, I damn well knew what I was talking about1 and alone in the whole school, able to identify dinosaurs from descriptions read out in assembly, putting the children some eight years my senior to shame.

I still love dinosaurs, and now, as then, I hate those movies with the void-cold anti-fire of a thousand frozen suns. I hate the whole IDEA of those movies.

For their ridiculous innacuracies - which, even were I at the time four and not eight - that I could and did pick up on. That cannot survive even the most cursory glance.

For glaringly once again trivialising natural history with anthropamorphism2 in the Disney-style, which is bad enough, but this time, treading on MY sacred turf.

For disregarding the proper names of the dinosaurs, that, once again, I had known and loved and been able to remember and pronounce since I was before school age and replacing them with a load of old cobblers. (Needless to say one of the reasons 4E's monster manual, alone out of all the RPG books I have bought in all my years, that I have got shot of, was due to this same issue.)

But most of all, most of FREAKING ALL, for the unfathomable bigotry of once AGAIN casting carnivores as nothing more than mindless predators, while glorifying the herbivores.

Never mind that herbivores are virtually always the most stupid of any given group of creatures (it's omnivores and carnivores that have the brains, and most often the former much more than the latter; domesticated horses and elephants are something of an exception). Never mind that tyrannosaurus (which, no, I have always steadfastly refused to abbreviate to T. Rex, in the same way as I don't talk about D(einonychus)-Antirropus) is the most popular and iconic dinosaur of them all.

So, yeah, I remember those movies.

Well enough to wish that their creators run afoul of Grimlock, Slag, Sludge Snarl and Swoop in a dark alley and get extremely messily and horribly spifflicated!

Graaaaaagh!!!!

*metallic Lich rage*

1You recall that I've said before how my primary school teachers called me middle-aged at eleven? This is exactly why.

2Something that, as a pony fan, may come of something of a surprise. But generally, I really dislike excessive anthropamorphication. Pony manages to get around it by not being really all that anthropamorphic or at least going about it with some thought behind it (which is what gets all my extra credit; I appreciate the effort, even if the end result isn't always stellar (though in pony's case, it usually is)). And even in Pony, I find the presence of other sapient cattle/donkeys etc and something rather unappealing (as done in canon; it's better done in some fanon (Dangerous Journey, for one)), as it moves into that "excessive" region.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-07-03 at 07:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    Here here!

My mother once told me that I wore out our original version in VHS and that the copy we still have now is actually the second.

I can still recite the Pizza Hut commercial.... @.@

Also... Whatever you do, don't Google "Land before time ponies" unless you WANT to cry.
    I still have the original VHS, also with the pizza hut commercial. It's at my parents' house somewhere, and I'm fairly certain I know where.

I remember them because I have been a fan of dinosaurs since, well, before I can remember.

A proper lay palentologist, who, even at age four, was able and willing to pick holes in and correct the inaccuracies in the for-school TV programs shown at school to the teacher (who did, in fact, take my corrections on board, knowing as she did, I damn well knew what I was talking about1 and alone in the whole school, able to identify dinosaurs from descriptions read out in assembly, putting the children some eight years my senior to shame.

I still love dinosaurs, and now, as then, I hate those movies with the void-cold anti-fire of a thousand frozen suns. I hate the whole IDEA of those movies.

For their ridiculous innacuracies - which, even were I at the time four and not eight - that I could and did pick up on. That cannot survive even the most cursory glance.

For glaringly once again trivialising natural history with anthropamorphism2 in the Disney-style, which is bad enough, but this time, treading on MY sacred turf.

For disregarding the proper names of the dinosaurs, that, once again, I had known and loved and been able to remember and pronounce since I was before school age and replacing them with cobblers. (Needless to say one of the reasons 4E's monster manual, alone out of all the RPG books I have bought in all my years was due to this same issue.)

But most of all, most of FREAKING ALL, for the unfathomable bigotry of once AGAIN casting carnivores as nothing more than mindless predators, while glorifying the herbivores.

Never mind that herbivores are virtually always the most stupid of any given group of creatures (it's omnivores and carnivores that have the brains, and most often the former much more than the latter; domesticated horses and elephants are something of an exception). Never mind that tyrannosaurus (which, no, I have always steadfastly refused to abbreviate to T. Rex, in the same way as I don't talk about D(einonychus)-Antirropus) is the most popular and iconic dinosaur of them all.

Well enough to wish that their creators run afoul of Grimlock, Slag, Sludge Snarl and Swoop in a dark alley and get extremely messily and horribly spifflicated!

Graaaaaagh!!!!

*metallic Lich rage*

1You recall that I've said before how my primary school teachers called me middle-aged at eleven? This is exactly why.

2Something that, as a pony fan, may come of something of a surprise. But generally, I really dislike excessive anthropamorphication. Pony manages to get around it by not being completely anthropamorphic. And even in Pony I find the presence of other sapient cattle/donkeys etc and something rather unappealing (as done in canon; it's better done in some fanon (Dangerous Journey, for one), as it moves into that "excessive" region.
    Fillies and Gentlecolts, I give you pure evil, as clearly presented as you shall ever receive it.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Unmoved by the Sharptooth/Little-Foot's mother scene on account of paleontological errors?

What are you, some kind of heartless, unliving monst....
    Oh, right, yeah. Carry on.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it weird that when I first watched that film I thought Littlefoot was a girl? I cannot remember why I thought that, but I did. Maybe it was the eyelashes.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-07-03 at 08:05 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    There's typing something and adding the word "pony" to a google image search.
    That's what I do.

Preach it!

A damn fine movie it is, and I watched it about a bazillion times as a kid. Not even exaggerating, I'm fairly certain it's the movie I've rewatched most times ever. I loved it to bits. But... I have no idea what you're talking about regarding sequels.

Asian pirate ponies making cheap knockoffs.
    Oh, I see. Carry on then.
    Truth resists simplicity.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Is it weird that when I first watched The Land Before Time I thought Littlefoot was a girl? I cannot remember why I thought that, but I did. Maybe it was the eyelashes.
    Yes, a little, especially as according to IMDB littlefoot wasn't even voiced by a girl, (unlike so many other young male characters).

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Some people are weird. *shrug*
    Spoiler
    Show

WEIRD MY CUTIE MARK, SOME PEOPLE ARE ****ED UP!
    *slowly lowers business card, tucks it Ito a pocket and walks away, whistling a jaunty tune*

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Because if you don't acknowledge the crazies even cursorially they get malky.

... Though I suppose telling them they are wrong is actually worse than ignoring them...

I'll agree to disagree with you there. For some people, Hell might be surprising when you first see it, but otherwise for those not willing to fall to sin, it's nothing.
    This would be a fun conversation if "sin" did not ensconce it firmly in the area of religion, which is against board regs. Alas.

Is will instead, point you to the GitP user, TheSuccubus. In his signature you will find a quote by Raz_Fox, our very own, which is sufficient to make my point enough that I won't spend the next hour fidgeting.

Really wish I knew when I fell off the wagon and got addicted to arguing again...

I'll consider the invitation another time.

Pfff no. That wasn't an invitation, that was humor!
    I'll save the real welcome for when you're ready to receive
    Also
    *hugs!*

For disregarding the proper names of the dinosaurs, that, once again, I had known and loved and been able to remember and pronounce since I was before school age and replacing them with a load of old cobblers. (Needless to say one of the reasons 4E's monster manual, alone out of all the RPG books I have bought in all my years, that I have got shot of, was due to this same issue.)

Graaaaaagh!!!!

*metallic Lich rage*

2Something that, as a pony fan, may come of something of a surprise. But generally, I really dislike excessive anthropamorphication. Pony manages to get around it by not being really all that anthropamorphic or at least going about it with some thought behind it (which is what gets all my extra credit; I appreciate the effort, even if the end result isn't always stellar (though in pony's case, it usually is)). And even in Pony, I find the presence of other sapient cattle/donkeys etc and something rather unappealing (as done in canon; it's better done in some fanon (Dangerous Journey, for one)), as it moves into that "excessive" region.
    Heh. Yeah~
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-07-03 at 11:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Fillies and Gentlecolts, I give you pure evil, as clearly presented as you shall ever receive it.
    Those abominations are an affront to palentologists everywhere, and I swear by the spirits of Robert Bakker and Michel J Benton1 they shall be abolised when I take over, and the very memories of them be expunged from history in the white-cold rime-rimmed frost of justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Unmoved by the Sharptooth/Little-Foot's mother scene on account of paleontological errors?

What are you, some kind of heartless, unliving monst....
    Oh, right, yeah. Carry on.
    Yer damn right. And I didn't twitch an eyelid at Bambi, either. (Or even Optimus Prime in the movie, for that matter. Since by that time he'd died about a bazillion times already in the comics.)

'Cos, you know, people and animals die (see: Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Star Fleet, Terrahawks, Marvel's Tranformers comic run and all the other things that I'd been exposed to by then). So, no, a laughable play for sympathy for an improperly-named sauropod being eaten by an improperly-named tyrannosaur in a fashion tamer than half my sodding dinosaur books did not, in fact, make anything even remotely moving.

Especially since that, unlike Bambi (which at least had the decency to have sorta half-a-point, in an anti-hunting or Man verses Nature sorta way), that was villifying carnivores and predators as Evil; an attitude I find unequivocably and indefensibly excreble. Predators are predators, that's what they do! And 99% of them are far more interesting than most herbivores, nonsentient equines included!

(Watching herbivores eat is, let's face it, not interesting. Watching something hunting, be it a plant, to a predatory sea snail to an ant-eater to a hunting wasp to a chimpanzee to a weasel, is at least entertaining. A cow/deer/horse eating grass is really not.)

You want moving, try Spock's death scene in Star Trek II, or the finale of Codename: Kids Next Door, or hell, a good chunk of pony fanfiction.

I have been more "moved" by My Little Pony. The 1980s My Little Pony. (Seriously, watching Applejack get turned into a demonic dragon was more disquieting than most Transformers espidoes.)

Heck, seeing Doc Terror turn those dinosaurs into cyborgs in that episode of Centurions left more of an impact. ('Specially since was not, unlike most cartoon deus ex machina, reversable.)

Heh. Yeah~
    Brohoof... er Lichclaw...? I dunno.

1Both still living, at time of posting, as far as is known.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-07-03 at 08:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Cheerilee's Garden actualy got another chapter. I had the...unfortunate pleasure of finding it when it was just a one-shot, and I am sorry to say that it's now nearly twice as long as it was before.
    ...What? She killed her entire class in gruesome ways. How do you do a sequel to that?

You know what, I don't want to know.

Regarding the Land Before Time: I remember I had a stuffed Littlefoot doll about the size of a big teddy bear. It's passed on to the big toyland in the sky now, but there are many fond memories involving that fuzzball.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-07-03 at 08:18 PM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Sobering realisation: that movie came out not long after my baby sister had died, if I'm judging the time right (though I'm not sure when it came on TV over here, since I know I didn't see it at the cinema); so by that point, I was tragically all-too acquainted with actual loss and grief to be taken in by a Disneyified play for it in such an insulting fashion.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Especially since that, unlike Bambi (which at least had the decency to have sorta half-a-point, in an anti-hunting or Man verses Nature sorta way), that was villifying carnivores and predators as Evil; an attitude I find unequivocably and indefensibly excreble. Predators are predators, that's what they do! And 99% of them are far more interesting than most herbivores, nonsentient equines included!
    Just want to raise a point on this issue;
    The film is portrayed entirely from the viewpoint of the Herbivores. The predatory carnivore is, indeed, portrayed as a vicious and unmerciful killing machine, because from the point of view of it's prey, that's exactly what it is.

Also, whilst wiki/imdbing the film to check littlefoot's voice actor, I noticed that in the non-existant sequels they not only raise a sharptooth baby of some kind but it also grows up Bilingual. Which is to say, it's canon in the extended universe of the franchise that there is, ontop of all the other factors, a largely insurmountable language barrier between the protagonists of the first film and the predatory antagonist. Which kind of rules out there being any meaningful room for interaction, don't you think?

Also, Bambi is too Saccarine to be reliably moving and Prime goes down like a chump, so there's that.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sobering realisation: that movie came out not long after my baby sister had died, if I'm judging the time right (though I'm not sure when it came on TV over here, since I know I didn't see it at the cinema); so by that point, I was tragically all-too acquainted with actual loss and grief to be taken in by a Disneyified play for it in such an insulting fashion.
    Damn it Lich now nopony can argue with you on this I was just about to compose a stinging riposte.

(Seriously though that sucks)

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show