New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

yuk The Post Office Has Failed Me

I recently ordered a certain book about a certain party of stick figures from a certain website. As far as I can tell the website did its job just fine, but the post office seems to have gotten very confused as to what delivering something actually entails.

The package was being shipped to me from Houston Texas to Fort Walton Beach Florida, and I tracked its progress online. Here is the path it has taken.

1) Processed through Sort Facility, HOUSTON, TX: Okay.
    2) Processed through Sort Facility, PENSACOLA, FL: Sounds good.
    3) Arrival at Post Office, FORT WALTON BEACH, FL: Yay, almost here!
    4) Out for Delivery, FORT WALTON BEACH, FL: One more day!
    5) Processed through Sort Facility, PENSACOLA, FL: Eh? What?
    6) Processed through Sort Facility, HOUSTON, TX: No! Stop it!

It has gone in a circle! It came all the way from Texas to being practically on my doorstep, and then turned around and went back! And no one knows why. I called and asked, there's no record of them being unable to find my address, or the package being damaged or anything. When I explained the path it has taken, the universal reaction was "Huh?"

They promised to look into it, and now I have no idea when I'm actually going to get the thing. And needless to say my mood has gone: -->--> in the process.

That's it, I'm inventing a teleporter. The few Brundleflies I'm sure to create are a small price to pay for not having to deal with this frustration.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2010-03-12 at 07:50 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Post Office Has Failed Me

"'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes! Finally! I have been waiting So. Long. for someone to invent a teleporter. I had a sneaking suspicion that USPSRage would have something to do with it too. Damn, I should have joined that pool at work.

Well anyway, I hope you get your book, and if you're looking for a buyer once you perfect that teleporter, look me up. Try not to include Jeff Goldblum in the packaging though, I would be quite upset.

~R~

4. - Top - End - #4

RangerGuy

The main redeeming quality of USPS is that they are cheap. All other negative qualities stem from this fact.

If you want quality, I used to work for a certain big Brown company that always appreciates new business, just expect to pay $8 minimum to ship anything

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Reminds me of when my friend ordered Guitar Hero 5 off of Amazon. For two weeks, it stayed as unknown. He started making jokes wondering about what they did with it, thinking that they opened it up and started playing it.

But yeah, weird stuff happens when your dealing with postal businesses and such.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

My mom is a postal worker, so I can vouch for the post office. They aren't doing it intentinally, something must have happened. You'll get your book, don't worry

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, I wouldn't be so quick to write it off as post office error. If for some reason, the company shipping the book made an error in the address, or whatnot, it would probably end up being a return to sender situation.
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'd bet it was an error in the shipping information. Probably an incorrect zip code, or something similar. They haven't failed you, they'll get it to you eventually. They probably don't know what's weird because the people you talked to are operating on the same incomplete information you are, in the absence of the actual shipping label. The post office does make the occasional goof, but they're one of the most efficient organizations I know of.

The other one is actually the DMV. Don't laugh, I'm serious. People complain about the long lines, but they also complain about inefficiency in the government, and the DMV is pretty much the perfect solution to the latter. The long lines are there because the efficiency is about 0.96 (on a scale of 0-1) measured by

Rate of New Arrivals/Rate of Customers Served

As that ratio approaches one, lines approach infinity because any slight uneven spacing in new arrivals causes a line to form. For comparison, human beings tend to have a nervous breakdown if they maintain a queuing theory efficiency over about 0.93-0.94 for sustained periods, so I'm mighty impressed by the DMV.

Remember folks, if you want shorter lines demand more inefficiency in government. And cut the post office some slack, think how many letters you got last year no problem.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think it was the website. They sent a confirmation email, and the address is correct there. They even added the extra four digits after my zipcode, so it isn't simply copy-pasted from what I entered.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

10. - Top - End - #10

I spent two years living in the Dominican Republic, and my parents in Texas tried to send me a package for Christmas one year through the postal service. Despite the fact the box was addressed to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, it was instead sent to a little island in the West Indies called Dominica, where it sat for six months, before it was sent back to my parents. Needless to say, i got nothing for Christmas that year.
    Last edited by Nomrom; 2010-03-13 at 11:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

While sympathizing completely with Starscream, I'm still going to have
    to give props to the post office for this thing: For more than 20 years they have been carrying my critical documents -- power bills, paychecks, tax returns -- and as far as I can tell they've never lost one of them. Not once in 20 years.

I mean, yeah, they screw up from time to time. They DID screw up in this case, and I would be just as angry as Starscream if it happened to me. But if I'm going to yell at them for doing wrong, I also have to give them credit for when they've done me right. And they have done me right -- astonishingly right -- for more than 20 years.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Just had one of those weirdly incorrect cases for work.
    A customer in Norway called in and wondered what had happened to the part we had ordered for him.
    I checked the tracking info and found the following on the UPS website (start reading the table from the bottom):

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Location|Date|Local Time|Description
    DHARAN, SA |24/03/2010 |12:11 |TRANSFER NOTIFICATION FROM SITE TO OBTAIN ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR DELIVERY
    CHALON SUR SAONE, FR |22/03/2010 |14:23 |TRANSFER NOTIFICATION FROM SITE TO OBTAIN ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR DELIVERY
    DHARAN, SA |18/03/2010 |10:00 |UPS WILL CONTACT THE SENDER AND/OR RECEIVER REGARDING THE STATUS OR DISPOSITION OF THIS PACKAGE
    |18/03/2010 |6:14 |IMPORT SCAN
    RIYADH, SA |17/03/2010 |15:59 |PROCESSED AT UPS FACILITY / FORWARDED TO THE FACILITY IN THE DESTINATION CITY
    DHARAN, SA |17/03/2010 |6:10 |ARRIVAL SCAN
    | 17/03/2010| 2:54| RELEASED BY CLEARING AGENCY. NOW IN-TRANSIT FOR DELIVERY
    BAHRAIN, BH | 16/03/2010| 20:10 |DEPARTURE SCAN
    DUBAI, AE| 16/03/2010| 13:21| ARRIVAL SCAN
    | 16/03/2010| 13:20| ARRIVAL SCAN
    KOELN (COLOGNE), DE| 16/03/2010| 4:10| DEPARTURE SCAN
    |16/03/2010 |0:59 |ARRIVAL SCAN
    EINDHOVEN, BEST, NL| 15/03/2010| 22:45| DEPARTURE SCAN
    |15/03/2010| 22:18| ORIGIN SCAN
    NL|15/03/2010 |13:19 | BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
    [/table]
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

WTF?!
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I recently ordered a certain book about a certain party of stick figures from a certain website. As far as I can tell the website did its job just fine, but the post office seems to have gotten very confused as to what delivering something actually entails.

The package was being shipped to me from Houston Texas to Fort Walton Beach Florida, and I tracked its progress online. Here is the path it has taken.

1) Processed through Sort Facility, HOUSTON, TX: Okay.
    2) Processed through Sort Facility, PENSACOLA, FL: Sounds good.
    3) Arrival at Post Office, FORT WALTON BEACH, FL: Yay, almost here!
    4) Out for Delivery, FORT WALTON BEACH, FL: One more day!
    5) Processed through Sort Facility, PENSACOLA, FL: Eh? What?
    6) Processed through Sort Facility, HOUSTON, TX: No! Stop it!

It has gone in a circle! It came all the way from Texas to being practically on my doorstep, and then turned around and went back! And no one knows why. I called and asked, there's no record of them being unable to find my address, or the package being damaged or anything. When I explained the path it has taken, the universal reaction was "Huh?"

They promised to look into it, and now I have no idea when I'm actually going to get the thing. And needless to say my mood has gone: -->--> in the process.

That's it, I'm inventing a teleporter. The few Brundleflies I'm sure to create are a small price to pay for not having to deal with this frustration.
    Obviously it was in with a shipment of boomerangs.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Not all boomerangs come back, you know.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    Not all boomerangs come back, you know.
    What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?

A stick!
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Obviously it was in with a shipment of boomerangs.
    OK, I admit it, I loled.