New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin A Timely Pun in the form of a Flawed [Magic Item]. Guess the name!

((See Post #8 for spoiler containing name.))
    This clear viscous liquid smells slightly of an alchemical concoction used to clean wounds. That other substance is sometimes known as "rubbing alcohol".
    The designer of this fluid was trying to create a liquid that could be thrown in a bottle to cause the effects of Earthen Grasp*. Unfortunately they could not correct a flaw in it that only allowed it to work on sand rather than other surfaces. They often sell it in bottles enchanted to shatter on contact with a sufficiently large amount of sand.

Faint transmutation; CL 3rd; Brew Potion; Price 150 gp.

*For those without Complete Arcane or Spell Compendium this causes a ~5' tall hand to form out of any ground softer than stone and try to grab nearby targets.

This has been stuck in my brain for a while, but I couldn't get it to come out of my fingers for some bizarre reason. I've managed to force it out, and will leave the name off for the moment. But here is a vague sort of hint.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2021-01-31 at 02:34 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A Timely Pun in the form of a Flawed [Magic Item]. Guess the name!

shand?(circular permutation of the letters of hands?)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    shand?(circular permutation of the letters of hands?)
    You are in the general neighborhood, but no.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2020-12-22 at 04:50 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Innate power?(if you understand the reference then you probably are not a normal person)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Sand Shake?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

o/~ And they caaaaallll him "Saaaaandy Clawwwwwwws" o/~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

(Bigby's) Grasping Sand

Though I'm pretty sure Segev has it right.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    o/~ And they caaaaallll him "Saaaaandy Clawwwwwwws" o/~
    None of you have hit what I was aiming at although I will give this one especially great credit.

Added a bit of description to the original post: This clear viscous liquid smells slightly of an alchemical concoction used to clean wounds. That other substance is sometimes known as "rubbing alcohol".

I guess I'll throw the name up in a spoiler now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is relevant to COVID-19, not the holiday's. "Sand Shake" was in the right direction too.
    Spoiler: Actual answer
    Show
    Sand Hand-itizer.

Last edited by DracoDei; 2021-09-21 at 07:48 PM.
    Extended Signature