New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Wisdom based monk: magic initiate

So I’ve had this idea of a water elemental monk turning things to ice. (Aside from picking a new class) what are some things to improve the build. Things I’m not seeing

I’m thinking full monk
    Custom race: water/ice genasi
    Benefits: +2 wisdom and magic initiate feat: Druid
    Shillelagh
    Magic stone
    Create/destroy water

Lvl3 shape the flowing river

Concept is to create a bunch of water and turn it and shape it into a maze to help with crowds

Magic stone gives ranged option as I’m thinking of pumping wisdom to max first

Shillelagh for a main attack with a quarter staff or if Dm allows a staff made from ice

Then full monk stuff. But more of a utility/control monk

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Wisdom based monk: magic initiate

Consider multiclassing into a spellcasting class like Druid or Wizard to gain access to more ice-themed spells, such as Ice Knife, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm, or Ice Storm. This can enhance your character's versatility and utility in combat and roleplaying situations.

In addition to Magic Initiate (Druid), consider other feats that complement your character concept and playstyle. For example, War Caster can help you maintain concentration on spells like Shape the Flowing River, while Elemental Adept (Cold) can enhance your damage output with ice-related spells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Desteplo View Post
    So I’ve had this idea of a water elemental monk turning things to ice. (Aside from picking a new class) what are some things to improve the build. Things I’m not seeing

I’m thinking full monk
    Custom race: water/ice genasi
    Benefits: +2 wisdom and magic initiate feat: Druid
    Shillelagh
    Magic stone
    Create/destroy water

Lvl3 shape the flowing river

Concept is to create a bunch of water and turn it and shape it into a maze to help with crowds

Magic stone gives ranged option as I’m thinking of pumping wisdom to max first

Shillelagh for a main attack with a quarter staff or if Dm allows a staff made from ice

Then full monk stuff. But more of a utility/control monk
    Do you want Monk for anything beside Shape the Flowing River?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Do you want Monk for anything beside Shape the Flowing River?
    It may be easier to build your CONCEPT on a different class chassis and then play the CHARACTER as a monk. I played with guy who had a celestial warlock who swore he was a cleric. What we're saying is, build the thing you want to play and then play the thing the way you want to play it. Don't let the names of the classes dictate what you are.
    I really need a new avatar. Nah, I'm good.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Well.. I have another build of a ranger that is pretty much a combat Druid and would probably work better AS a Druid. I like the abilities and flavor of the monk and ranger though

It’s not just flowing river ability I’m looking at. The level progression and abilities that those classes give are what I like. Compared to full caster classes. I want this specific idea, just looking for tweaks that don’t require a second class
    -like going ritual caster for more utility

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I suggest switching Magic Stone for Thorn Whip. The damage and range are worse (no wis bonus to dmg, but it continues scaling at high level), but the option to pull enemies combined with monk's mobility (if you can run on the walls, you may be able to pull the enemy straight up for more damage and prone) can be more useful, and you've mentioned you're more interested in control....
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Personally I don't see anything wrong in allowing a staff made of ice. DMG has a section for Magic Item Special Features, starting from page 141, among which there is this insert:

Quote Originally Posted by What Minor Property Does It Have (DMG, p.141)
    Strange Material. The item was created from a material that is bizarre given its purpose. Its durability is unaffected.
    Also, a Custom version of Shillelagh probably isn't out of question either, if you ask your DM nicely. Maybe something like taking a handful of snow or ice, which turns into a sharp stick that deals piercing damage instead of bludgeoning.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This would probably be more of a flavor option, but you might consider finding a way to get the Shape Water cantrip as well. It has a lot of fun water manipulation effects, including freezing water!