New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Archons + Bags of Holding

Teleport (Su): Archons can use greater teleport at will, as the spell (caster level 14th), except that the creature can transport only itself and up to 50 pounds of objects.
    Bag of Holding
    This appears to be a common cloth sack about 2 feet by 4 feet in size. The bag of holding opens into a nondimensional space: Its inside is larger than its outside dimensions. Regardless of what is put into the bag, it weighs a fixed amount. This weight, and the limits in weight and volume of the bag’s contents, depend on the bag’s type, as shown on the table below.

If you stuff yourself into a Bag of Holding, can a Lantern Archon from the Create Lantern Archon spell (which is Conjuration (Creation), not Conjuration (Summoning)) teleport around with the bag and thus you?

The bag "opens into a nondimensional space". If you step into a bag of holding, are you (counted as being) inside of the bag itself, or is it a merely a portal to a pocket dimension? If the former, would a Teleport (Su) performed by an archon carrying a bag of holding with a person inside of it fail for the same reasons a Teleport (Su) performed by an archon carrying a burlap sack with a pixie in it would?

From Teleport (which Greater Teleport uses as a base):
    You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load.
    Does the archon Teleport (Su)'s weight restriction override this one, or would a Lantern Archon need a Bull's Strength or the like to teleport a bag of holding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Archons + Bags of Holding

You can only teleport attended objects, and you need to be able to have an item on your person for it to be considered attended.

Since lantern archons have no means of picking anything up even if they had the appropriate strength score, I don’t see how they could attend the bag of holding to be able to teleport it in the first place

Perhaps if you cast polymorph on them first?

But otherwise, yes, the teleport a bag of holding to bypass restrictions trick is fairly well known and accepted
    Last edited by Crake; 2024-05-09 at 06:40 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Since lantern archons have no means of picking anything up even if they had the appropriate strength score, I don’t see how they could attend the bag of holding to be able to teleport it in the first place
    They're not incorporeal. You could add a parachute-like apparatus to a bag of holding and drape it over the lantern archon, allowing it to (with Bull's Strength) drag around the bag of holding not unlike a hot air balloon.

But otherwise, yes, the teleport a bag of holding to bypass restrictions trick is fairly well known and accepted
    It's well-known, but that doesn't necessarily mean it actually works (see: the peasant railgun).
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    They're not incorporeal. You could add a parachute-like apparatus to a bag of holding and drape it over the lantern archon, allowing it to (with Bull's Strength) drag around the bag of holding not unlike a hot air balloon.
    I mean, they may not be incorporeal, but they also lack hands, or really a body of any sort. I dunno if you could feasably tie something to them, as they are a ball, that would be something you'd need to be able to convince your DM of.

But also, dragged items don't qualify as attended, they need to be on your person

Stopping to go read the spell correctly, it actually doesnt say anthing about bringing along attended items, it merely states that you can bring along items as long as they don't exceed your maximum load, and the target line is "You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures".

So yeah, I guess the archon doesn't need to be able to pick it up at all, it's just a question of whether the 50lb limit is a replacement or an addition. I think RAW it appears to be written as a replacement statement, not an additional restriction, but it's always within the DM's purview at the end of the day. If this is a thought experiement, I guess just go with yes, but if it's for an actual game, just ask your DM.

It's well-known, but that doesn't necessarily mean it actually works (see: the peasant railgun).
    The peasant railgun is mechanically sound, but diagetically not. There's nothing that appears to be wrong that I can think of about teleporting around the entrance to an extradimensional space.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

There's nothing that appears to be wrong that I can think of about teleporting around the entrance to an extradimensional space.
    I agree. My core question is whether or not the bag of holding actually *is* just an entrance to an extradimensional space, or if the items you put in the bag are inside of the bag itself. Like, is it an extra-planar pocket dimension like a portable hole is, or is it just an instance of weird, non-euclidean geometry? If it's just an entrance, why does turning the bag inside out dump out its contents?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2024-05-10 at 10:38 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I agree. My core question is whether or not the bag of holding actually *is* just an entrance to an extradimensional space, or if the items you put in the bag are inside of the bag itself. Like, is it an extra-planar pocket dimension like a portable hole is, or is it just an instance of weird, non-euclidean geometry? If it's just an entrance, why does turning the bag inside out dump out its contents?
    You know for a fact that it's just an entrance, because when it's magic is temporarily dispelled, either by a dispel magic, or by an AMF, the extra dimension is simply cut off, and it becomes a regular sack. If it was some sort of strange non euclidian dimensional space, then presumably all the contents would instead be forced out as the space collapses.

The reason why all the contents dump out when it's turned inside out is because it was designed that way I guess?
    Last edited by Crake; 2024-05-10 at 11:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

It works in 3e/3.5e. In earlier editions IIRC it creates a mishap that scatters the bag's contents across the astral plane
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)