New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment Thread IV: Live Free or Hit Die Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Well, the premise of having it be a valuable class feature is specifically the case where everyone has it. That's why I brought up stealth in the first place.

As to the validity of the comparison, just think larger: you're not scouting the number of orcs guarding the pie in the next room, you're scouting the location and disposition of officers and armament in the invading orc army. Your path will be crossed by orc patrols many times per day, for many sessions.

Stealth is also important for some PCs (the guy on point, and the guy who gets closest to the officers' tents), but everyone would need a way to negate tracking.

That's one example.

In general, it's a feature for a game where you derive some benefit from not being tracked back to your base. IIRC this includes World's Largest Dungeon, so it's not just outdoor adventures. (It is very much also outdoor adventures.)
    I agree that there are scenarios in which it is useful. However, it's not always useful, nor is it useful in every game. I'd consider something a generally worthwhile class feature if it'll be useful at least once per session in any given campaign. Things like evasion, or 'hide in plain sight' qualify for this, but something like trackless step won't come up much in most games. It's useful in games build entirely around outdoors survival and stealth, but it won't help you much in a standard dungeon crawl.

It's like a feature that sais '+5 to diplomacy when dealing with Fey'. That's not a useless feature, but unlikely to come up much unless you're playing a campaign focused around the fair folk, so for a general rating of the feature, I wouldn't mind of people dismissed it as 'mostly flavor', because it is indeed just flavor if you're playing a city-intrigue or dungeon crawl in the underdark campaign.

Edit: and then I read your last sentence again properly. It seems we're basically saying the same thing, just slightly disagreeing about the kind of rating such a feature should get.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2018-05-13 at 03:33 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, the premise of having it be a valuable class feature is specifically the case where everyone has it. That's why I brought up stealth in the first place.

As to the validity of the comparison, just think larger: you're not scouting the number of orcs guarding the pie in the next room, you're scouting the location and disposition of officers and armament in the invading orc army. Your path will be crossed by orc patrols many times per day, for many sessions.

Stealth is also important for some PCs (the guy on point, and the guy who gets closest to the officers' tents), but everyone would need a way to negate tracking.

That's one example.

In general, it's a feature for a game where you derive some benefit from not being tracked back to your base. IIRC this includes World's Largest Dungeon, so it's not just outdoor adventures. (It is very much also outdoor adventures.)
    Sure, tracking negation is something that can be pretty useful when the entire party has it. The problem is, it's nowhere near enough to push the Bearhound from -0 to +0, especially since there are a whole lot of better/easier/faster/cheaper alternatives to get tracking negation.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    I agree that there are scenarios in which it is useful. However, it's not always useful, nor is it useful in every game. I'd consider something a generally worthwhile class feature if it'll be useful at least once per session in any given campaign. Things like evasion, or 'hide in plain sight' qualify for this, but something like trackless step won't come up much in most games. It's useful in games build entirely around outdoors survival and stealth, but it won't help you much in a standard dungeon crawl.

It's like a feature that sais '+5 to diplomacy when dealing with Fey'. That's not a useless feature, but unlikely to come up much unless you're playing a campaign focused around the fair folk, so for a general rating of the feature, I wouldn't mind of people dismissed it as 'mostly flavor', because it is indeed just flavor if you're playing a city-intrigue or dungeon crawl in the underdark campaign.

Edit: and then I read your last sentence again properly. It seems we're basically saying the same thing, just slightly disagreeing about the kind of rating such a feature should get.
    I feel like LA needs to be an adjustment on a reasonable representation of the best case, not on the average case.

As an example of why: in the average case, getting +4 Intelligence is mildly decent. You get +2 skill points, that's nice. You get +2 to Knowledge checks (which many classes don't have), so that's not great. Rogues get +2 to Search, I guess that's okay.

But an intelligent player won't pick a +4 Int race for a class where that benefit is only mildly decent. An intelligent player will choose +4 Int on a class that uses Int for casting, such as a Wizard. In this non-average case, the benefit of +4 Int is not merely decent.

Similarly, for class abilities which are campaign-dependent, I think it's reasonable to talk about the benefits in those campaigns, not across the average of all campaigns. The core Dwarf gets a bonus to dodging giants -- how often are giants an antagonist? Not that often on average, but if you're playing Against The Giants, then it's worth something.

So, what sort of campaign would showcase Trackless Step? Off the top of my head, the first game which I played in -- Keep on the Borderlands -- would have benefited from the ability to use strategic misdirection, pointing the humanoids at each other's throats instead of leaving a trail back to the keep. That wasn't strictly wilderness exploration, nor was it strictly a dungeon crawl.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    Sure, tracking negation is something that can be pretty useful when the entire party has it. The problem is, it's nowhere near enough to push the Bearhound from -0 to +0, especially since there are a whole lot of better/easier/faster/cheaper alternatives to get tracking negation.
    Yep, what moves it from -0 to +0 is the combination of +16 Str, +10 Con, the other +stats, Trip, Improved Grab, speed, natural armor, Wild Empathy, ki strike (magic), and also Trackless Step.

Trackless Step alone would not be enough -- but the fact is, it's not alone.

5. - Top - End - #425

I feel like LA needs to be an adjustment on a reasonable representation of the best case, not on the average case.

As an example of why: in the average case, getting +4 Intelligence is mildly decent. You get +2 skill points, that's nice. You get +2 to Knowledge checks (which many classes don't have), so that's not great. Rogues get +2 to Search, I guess that's okay.

But an intelligent player won't pick a +4 Int race for a class where that benefit is only mildly decent. An intelligent player will choose +4 Int on a class that uses Int for casting, such as a Wizard. In this non-average case, the benefit of +4 Int is not merely decent.

Similarly, for class abilities which are campaign-dependent, I think it's reasonable to talk about the benefits in those campaigns, not across the average of all campaigns. The core Dwarf gets a bonus to dodging giants -- how often are giants an antagonist? Not that often on average, but if you're playing Against The Giants, then it's worth something.

So, what sort of campaign would showcase Trackless Step? Off the top of my head, the first game which I played in -- Keep on the Borderlands -- would have benefited from the ability to use strategic misdirection, pointing the humanoids at each other's throats instead of leaving a trail back to the keep. That wasn't strictly wilderness exploration, nor was it strictly a dungeon crawl.
    Yep, what moves it from -0 to +0 is the combination of +16 Str, +10 Con, the other +stats, Trip, Improved Grab, speed, natural armor, Wild Empathy, ki strike (magic), and also Trackless Step.

Trackless Step alone would not be enough -- but the fact is, it's not alone.

Problem with that is that the Bearhound has too many RHD to be viable in a campaign where mundane tracking is a serious concern, IMO. At level 10, the party's being teleported for long distance travel, and probably has long-term flight options.

Wild Empathy is also hugely situationally dependent, and, again, at level 10 ... it's not that useful anymore. Animals aren't, or shouldn't be, a major concern anymore. Also, there are way better ways of getting it.

Ki strike (Magic) is kind of irrelevant, since you'd want to be packing magical weapons or an item to put weapon enhancements on your natural weapons already anyways. And at level 10, you're going to want more than a +1.

Trip and Improved Grab are keyed to the Bite and Claw natural attacks, respectively.

+16 Strength, +4 Dex, +10 Con. That's not bad, but again, 10RHD, so you're locked into a melee type, and can't use weapons.
    +6 Int, +4 Wis, +2 Cha ... Not bad, but not particularly useful, since you have too many RHD to go Caster or skillmonkey.

Speed 40ft isn't a bad thing, but neither is it much of a good thing. It's pretty meh. Lots of ways to get speed.
    +11 Natural Armor is good, yes, but again, 10RHD.

The Bearhound has stuff that's good, sure. It just doesn't have enough nice things to be worth 10 RHD.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Bearhound has been assigned -0, was found by majority rule to be -0, and will continue to be rated as -0 for the foreseeable future. No, this won't change, please don't ask anymore.

Next entry should be up either today or tomorrow (finals this week, so I'm somewhat occupied with other stuff, my apologies).
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Boneclaw

Another 10 RHD monster, undead this time. That doesn't bode well...

Boneclaws are large-sized, with reasonably decent ability scores (though the lack of any outstanding ability is somewhat problematic).

They have DR 5/bludgeoning, +2 turn resistance, a few points of natural armor, and a reasonable speed, as well as cold immunity: nothing you wouldn't expect from an intelligent skeletal undead. Unholy Toughness (charisma to HP) is also very nice to have.

More notable is a boneclaw's ability to extend its boney claws, giving it two natural weapons with the damage of Large shortswords and a reach of 20 ft. Given that Combat Reflexes is a thing and the boneclaw has a racial +8 dexterity bonus, this is actually a pretty nice ability.

However, for all that goodness the boneclaw has a number of major flaws. Its RHD are atrociously bad, and make it in fact incapable of getting a third iterative pre-epic. This assumes it can wield weapons at all, which could be difficult with claws that are half a meter in size (and sometimes more). Furthermore, its main selling point (20 ft. reach) isn't exclusive to it: any Large creature that can wield a guisarme is capable of replicating it.

Considering this all, I think -0 is an appropriate assignment here. Do discuss.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2018-05-15 at 02:19 PM.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I agree with the -0.
    The main thing it has going for it are a net +34 to stats (+10 Str, +8 Dex, + 4 Int/Wis, +8 Cha, counting Con— as +0), a good-ish pair of natural weapons (1d8 claws at Large aren't bad. They go to 2d6 with INA, which the sample already has), natural reach and a way to compensate for Con— (kinda rare for undeads). The main problem is the fact that it's a 10 RHD undead (with CR 5, that's already a bad start) with 1/2 BAB (so at best it goes to +15 at level 20) and no access to Rapidstrike to pile in the claw attacks (and even if it could it ain't happening soon, the feat need BAB +10).
    Class-wise with 10 RHD casters are basically out, martial initiators are better but not good (at best it gets 8th level maneuvers at 20th level), maybe Incarnum (it has a feat tax tough)? otherwise it's melee for an option.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

10 poor RHD, nothing on par with scaling class features, no really unique abilities, and no obvious advancement potential once you finally start getting class levels? Easy -0.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

10. - Top - End - #430
    Barbarian in the Playground

Undead RHD? This thing really needed to impress me, and it did not. Unholy Toughness is excellent, but that is about where the good news ends-pretty much everything else can easily be replicated by martial dips on an LA 0 race plus an undead template of your choice, probably netting a comparable or better loadout around ECL 8.

Yuck. LA -0.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

This is another monster that's frustrating because it has some potentially interesting abilities to build on but they are dragged down hard by terrible racial HD. There's no way this is anything but -0.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

In another campaign I've used boneclaw as a template, and it was outstandingly good. However as a race it isn't the best. I could do something with it, but not much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

A massive pile of defensive abilities (Huge HP, undead immunities) with sub par hit dice for melee and no good way to transition to a more active role because of its sheer volume of hit dice. -0
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2018-05-15 at 11:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

N.B. Halberds are one of the few polearms that do not have reach. Go figure.

I think -0 is appropriate. Boneclaws are acceptable within their one niche, but they're difficult to advance fruitfully.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

If it didn't have all those horrible RHD, then I could do something with that reach and some Psychic Warrior levels.

But it does have all those horrible RHD.

Verdict: LA -0, borderline LA --.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Colossus in the Playground

Is it just me, or does this book have terrible names?

• Ambush Drake - noun noun
    • Arcane Ooze - noun noun
    • Armand - ok, fine
    • Astral Stalker - adjective noun
    • Avalancher - verb-er
    • Battlebriar - noun noun
    • Bearhound - noun noun
    • Boneclaw - noun noun
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

If this thing hand, like, four RHD, it might be worth using. It's interesting without having any problematic abilities, and its humanoid shape gives it a strong argument for being able to use all standard equipment to boot. It's just hampered by its awful, awful RHD.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post

• Armand - ok, fine
    • Avalancher - verb-er
    • Bearhound - noun noun
    • Boneclaw - noun noun
    I wouldn't go so hard on these naming conventions. Noun/adjective noun in Latin is often how species are named. It's probably how most things are named before a language barrier makes them seem more fancy. Armand is literally just a dude's name, one that means army man, a.k.a. another noun noun. While using different languages and showing off obscure roots is something I totally dig, English noun noun helps get the point of a creature across so people don't die wondering what a gazebo is.

Not to mention... it is strange that you would level this accusation, flicker-dart.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

19. - Top - End - #439

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    It's just hampered by its awful, awful RHD.
    The story of these threads. :P

Though I think that might be question we should start considering, which I have with this book: how many RHD would you need to shave off to reach LA +0 ? For this, I would be shaving off a of minimum 4 to reach your 4th iterative, but would still be too weak to consider. If it could use humanoid equipment without a problem, I might say LA +0 at 5 RHD. Nearest comparison would probably be a standard race with Half-Minotaur template to gain size and mostly match up, maybe a couple of class levels to fill out the HD, and sprinkled with Gravetouched Ghoul to get the rest of the way there.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2018-05-15 at 09:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post

• Armand - ok, fine
    • Avalancher - verb-er
    • Bearhound - noun noun
    • Boneclaw - noun noun
    Not just you, but for some things, there is no good name.
    Plus, after a point, unless you're going to randomly string consonants and vowels together, you're looking at crappy names for things that aren't more or less pulled from pre-existing myths, legends, and/or fictions. And randomized character strings aren't much better.

--

Concur with -0 for the Boneclaw.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    The story of these threads. :P

Though I think that might be question we should start considering, which I have with this book: how many RHD would you need to shave off to reach LA +0 ? For this, I would be shaving off a of minimum 4 to reach your 4th iterative, but would still be too weak to consider. If it could use humanoid equipment without a problem, I might say LA +0 at 5 RHD. Nearest comparison would probably be a standard race with Half-Minotaur template to gain size and mostly match up, maybe a couple of class levels to fill out the HD, and sprinkled with Gravetouched Ghoul to get the rest of the way there.
    this seems like it would be good for its own thread. How many LA -0's could be made at least +0 by removing some RHD and nothing else from them, and how many would it take for each LA -0.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Arcane is absolutely an adjective, not a noun.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Bonedrinker

Another mid-level undead, this one with 11 RHD. Somehow, I don't expect a high LA.

Ability scores are overwhelmingly unimpressive for something with this HD, with +10 strength being the main selling point (y'know, that boost you could get with a race and +1 LA template). The random energy resistances are moderately useful, DR 5/silver or good will probably prevent a fair amount of damage over the course of a campaign, and Unholy Toughness doesn't hurt to have either.

Two 1d10 tentacles and two 1d8 claws (which can probably be used for weapon-wielding) make quite a nice set of natural attacks, and Pounce nicely complements them. Improved Grab is starting to get less useful by this point though, especially on a half-BAB medium creature.

Last is the bonedrinker's signature ability, imaginatively named 'bonedrink', which deals 1d6 constitution damage per round to creatures the bonedrinker pins.

Mediocre ability aside, the design choices made here puzzle me greatly. Why is the damage to constitution, rather than strength or dexterity? Does having your skeleton eroded away in no way impart physical strength or ability to move? Why are creatures that lack constitution scores but do have bones suddenly immune? Truly, this is a mysterious creature.

That said, -0 LA seems most appropriate here.

Lesser Bonedrinker

Created from goblins rather than bugbears, with less HD (7, to be precise), but still bad. Small size on a creature meant to be a grappler doesn't work, especially as lesser bonedrinkers apparently don't get the +4 racial grapple bonus their cousins get.

With the grappling gone, lesser bonedrinkers are just pathetic excuses for a melee brute that arguably don't even outperform human warriors when it comes to combat efficiency. -0 LA once more.

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Small sized grapplers make me cry.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Hey look, LA -0.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

26. - Top - End - #446

I have serious questions about where the concept for the Bonedrinker came from. But I'm not entirely sure I want to know the answers.

No contest, concur with -0 for both variants.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447

BoneDrinker: Undead typing, 4 natural attacks, DR/material or alignment, 3 energy resists of 10, net abilities of +22, Improved Grab, Pounce...oh look, 11 Undead RHD at medium, or 7 at small. With a grappling focus. Yeah...no. LA -0 and move along, nothing to see here.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't say a Bonedrinker necessarily has a grappling focus -- only two of their traits deal with that. Call it a side dish. And pounce plus four natural attacks makes BAB less relevant. You already have your four attacks that other characters wait until at least 16th to get.

Regardless, the lack of a main course to go with that side dish is sad. I'd be willing to try a swordsage or crusader with these stats, preferably refluffed, but I can't honestly say it's better than -0.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #449

MonkGuy

Definite consensus here with -0
    3.5 Cast - A GitP member made, third edition podcast
    D&D 3.5 Discord Chat, Come one come all
    The Master Specialist Handbook
    Truly Complete List of 3.5e Base Classes
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    DMG 3.5e page 41:
    "If a player behaves in a way you don't want them to behave, talk to them about it. If they continue, stop playing with them. "
    By RAW, you have to stop playing with the guy.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I can't think of any way to justify higher than -0 on this puppy.