New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Hadar the Dark Hunger lore.

Hey guys I'm about to play an aberrant mind sorcerer in my upcoming campaign. This character has drawn the attention of Hadar after he created a totally metal, cosmic, otherworldly song. While playing it in a backwoods tavern, he played his eldritch riff drew the eye of Hadar and a portal to the dark star opened up above the tavern and bonded with my character essential granting him a portion of his aberrant powers.

At first I was thinking that the crowd in attendance went mad, bleeding from their eyes and ears and ended up dying, but I had another idea and I was looking for some input.

What if Hadar (who always hungers and looks to feed to prevent his own demise), uses my character as a conduit to evoke powerful emotions in his audience and rather then killing them (which is kind of evil for a neutral or good aligned PC), Hadar simply feeds off of the life force / heightened emotion invoked by the music? Or perhaps the music plants a small seed of madness, connecting and linking all who listen to his music to the Hadar and strengthening him, sort of like cult followers, or crazed groupies.

I have the general idea but I'm looking for help to flesh it out a little bit. What are my characters motives? Why would he knowingly spread the madness of Hadar as a sort of Herald? Perhaps he does so unknowingly somehow? Or perhaps he truly believes that Hadar is benevolent or misunderstood? Maybe doing this work is and some twisted way beneficial for the fate of the world?

Would love to hear any ideas!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Hadar the Dark Hunger lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Snig View Post
    Or perhaps he truly believes that Hadar is benevolent or misunderstood? Maybe doing this work is and some twisted way beneficial for the fate of the world?
    A fun bit of lore about the dark star is that it is inside a dark nebula. The name of this larger entity is Ihbar and your character might be convinced that Hadar, aberrant as it may have become, is still a star valiantly fighting its way out of an expanding darkness. Perhaps Hadar has also sent him visions of Ihbar eying the character's world's sun, with the implication that a revigorated Hadar would distract Ihbar from this new target.
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    A fun bit of lore about the dark star is that it is inside a dark nebula. The name of this larger entity is Ihbar and your character might be convinced that Hadar, aberrant as it may have become, is still a star valiantly fighting its way out of an expanding darkness. Perhaps Hadar has also sent him visions of Ihbar eying the character's world's sun, with the implication that a revigorated Hadar would distract Ihbar from this new target.
    This is perfect! I think I can work with this for sure 🙏

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Where does one find lore on Hadar?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    4th edition, mostly

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryblaze View Post
    4th edition, mostly
    And I think the following is pretty much all there is:
    Quote Originally Posted by 4e Monster Manual 2 p195-196, Herald of Hadar
    Hadar's dull red glow is barely visible in the night sky, as the star slowly burns down into a lifeless, dead cinder. According to the Revelations of Melech, Hadar was once the brightest star in the sky, but during the calamities that led to the fall of Bael Turath, it surged into a searing brand of light and then faded into a blood-red ember. Hadar now hangs on the edge of annihilation. A herald of Hadar is an avatar of Hadar's dying gasps, a fiendish monster that grows stronger in the presence of living creatures. The herald feasts on life energy, channeling it back to its creator in an effort to avert its demise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon#366 p18, Revelations of Melech
    Hadar. Hadar is the extinguished cinder of a star lurking within the cloaking nebula of Ihbar.

Ihbar. A dark nebula between stars, Ihbar is slowly expanding and eating the light of neighboring constellations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse p191, Neogi Master
    Neogi masters use magic, as a result of a pact between neogi and aberrant entities they met during their journey from their home world. These entities--known by such names as Acamar, Caiphon, Gibbeth, and Hadar--resemble stars and embody the essence of evil.
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)