New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive X: Please Don't Feel Bad

Well, I was wrong. It wasn't Luke freaking out at the sight of the girls. Also, is Dan joking in the commentary, or has he actually never heard of Frogger?

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Well, I was wrong. It wasn't Luke freaking out at the sight of the girls. Also, is Dan joking in the commentary, or has he actually never heard of Frogger?
    Could be joking, but if not, he probably just forgot about Frogger, rather than never having heard of it.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Well, I was wrong. It wasn't Luke freaking out at the sight of the girls.
    Makes sense. Luke has enough information that seeing these four together lets him connect some important dots, which the Balance arc went to some length to prevent him from doing and seems more important than NP storylines usually are.

Meanwhile Camdin and [TBD] know that Rhoda and Cat are magic, which can cause drama, but don't have enough connections to spill that secret before the mainline comics get there.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Colossus in the Playground

Dan's joking about the Frogger reference he put in the strip is confusing people? I really hope Dan doesn't read this thread, or he'll get even more extreme about spelling literally everything out.

5. - Top - End - #335

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Dan's joking about the Frogger reference he put in the strip is confusing people? I really hope Dan doesn't read this thread, or he'll get even more extreme about spelling literally everything out.
    Oh, it isn't just here people are bringing that up...

6. - Top - End - #336
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    Makes sense. Luke has enough information that seeing these four together lets him connect some important dots, which the Balance arc went to some length to prevent him from doing and seems more important than NP storylines usually are.

Meanwhile Camdin and [TBD] know that Rhoda and Cat are magic, which can cause drama, but don't have enough connections to spill that secret before the mainline comics get there.
    Camdin may not have enough social graces to not spill the beans to Diane and Lucy.

7. - Top - End - #337

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    Camdin may not have enough social graces to not spill the beans to Diane and Lucy.
    So I think Camdin is an idiot, but he's also the sort of idiot who thinks this is a superhero story and is likely to try to conform to those genre conventions.

8. - Top - End - #338

I'm late to the party on Monday's comic. But reading Dan's commentary it seems he too is A man of culture.

9. - Top - End - #339

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    So I think Camdin is an idiot, but he's also the sort of idiot who thinks this is a superhero story and is likely to try to conform to those genre conventions.
    Well, he ran away from them. Maybe he justifies his actions by thinking that Catalina is a supervillain or monster? (He still doesn't actually know what Rhoda's power is. Luke was the one that was more afraid of her.)

10. - Top - End - #340

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    And, see the commentary in the May 16 NP. It just goes to show for every person who tells Dan that he overexplains things and wastes time there are just as many people who tell him they're confused and he doesn't explain enough. That's probably why he isn't changing his writing style any time soon.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    And, see the commentary in the May 16 NP. It just goes to show for every person who tells Dan that he overexplains things and wastes time there are just as many people who tell him they're confused and he doesn't explain enough. That's probably why he isn't changing his writing style any time soon.
    Apparently people have told him about Frogger and Battletoads, but he was lucky that nobody told him about Crazy Frog Racer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

12. - Top - End - #342

RedKnightGirl

Yeah, much as Dan's overexplaining can annoy me it's a perfectly understandable reaction to having to deal with a lot of webcomic fans.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

One must always keep in mind that half of the population has below average intelligence. If you interact with enough people, you're going to find that many are dumber than yourself. When you make a story, you need to pick the level of required literacy and comprehension that you want, and then just ignore those too stupid to understand. If you try to make it approachable and understandable to all, you end up with something so simple and basic that even most kids would find it boring.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

14. - Top - End - #344

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Apparently people have told him about Frogger and Battletoads, but he was lucky that nobody told him about Crazy Frog Racer.
    Why would people tell him about Battletoads when he was talking about games with frogs?

Also, he did mention "famously", Crazy Frog may have been a famous meme, but how famous was the game?
    Last edited by Devlerbat; Yesterday at 11:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Colossus in the Playground

As Celestia says, "Dan will dissect the joke when he realizes someone somewhere missed it" was predictable; indeed I predicted it. It remains unfortunate.
    Last edited by Kish; Yesterday at 06:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Goblin Jay is love, goblin Jay is life.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

The obvious guess, based on what we know: the discount enchantment compounds the more you do in one turn, so Susan was waiting until she had enough things to revive to get them all back at once really cheap and overwhelm the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

One Mass Removal Spell, coming up. And after the Boardwipe, Susan's creatures will return in: The Day of the Dead Ghosts on Cards

The foreshadowing on cheaper spells in combination with mentioning the costs of re-casting the Ghosts sounds and no mention of a huge Hand Size sounds to me like Susan will cast those.
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".