New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Tomboys and Troublemakers pt 3

The two toughs on the bridge straighten up a little as Bruno leads the approach, and they let him say his piece. One of them - the slightly larger one, whose shoulders slope right rather than left, crooks an eyebrow at the accented Breton in the air, but bobs his head somewhat amicably.

"You have the right of it. And there is a normal fee - for a group of your size, it's not so small. But given that you have come so far, perhaps you are right ,and we can find an arrangement. Goods are better to us than coin, right now. The dwarf's hammer is very fine, but expect he would be loathe to part with it. Maybe... A different instrument."

He gestures with his empty hand toward the scabbarded Company Blade on Bruno's hip.

Spoiler: Another Perception Check, sight based, +0 for Bruno, -20 for everyone else
    Show
    While Righty is talking, Lefty reaches up a hand to scratch slightly at the stained red scarf. You catch a glimpse of a mark on his neck - a scabbed over puncture wound that could very well have another just below it.

Bruno is quite sure he didn't say anything offensive or fumble the approach - for some reason, these bridge 'guards' are more interested in hardware than lucre.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2024-05-12 at 12:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'm sure that our dwarven companion won't be willing to part with his weapon," Bruno said, "I must likewise decline to part with mine. You see, this isn't my blade, but I have it on loan for this mission we have, so I can't give it away. Only those who have given it to me can do that, unfortunately. I'm sure you can understand that I can't give away something that doesn't belong to me."

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

perception: (1d100)[20] vs 69
    Last edited by farothel; 2024-05-12 at 09:43 AM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine was mostly ignoring the toughs, expecting a demand for a shilling or two. But when they demanded one of the company's weapons, she peered a bit more closely at them. She hisses to Bruno in her finest Classical, "Ixnay on the issionmay." And then in Bretonnian she adds, "Mission? I thought we was here to find a fence?"

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Upon hearing the twins' suggestion for a toll Gimgroth laughs a fierce laugh. "If it's me hammer you want as toll. It's your teeth that will be doin' the collecting. The dwarf muscles are tense ready for this bartering to turning into battering at any second.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard 13/13 4/5

Wighard gives a snort of derision

Your bridge isn't that nice

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[93] Perception 91

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"That's a mission, no," Bruno said to Jasmine, "sorry, spend a bit too long in the company of Bretonnian knights. To them finding food is a mission."
    Last edited by farothel; 2024-05-12 at 02:49 PM.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lefty's eyes track between the dwarf and his hammer, and Bruno, and the man with the faintly lambent eyes. He hesitates.

Small Gaétan adds his plea to your case. "Come, goodfellows, please - surely you would not part these visitors from weapons in dangerous Mousillon? What will they do if someone less reasonable comes to them - a pack of Ecorcheurs, or Garde Cimetiere perhaps? Best they are armed to put down such rabid dogs. Surely a few coins will serve as toll?"

Whether convinced, or convicted of some alternative ruse, the slouching pair share a glance and shrug their respective high shoudlers.

"Fine... Fine. Call it... ten ecu, and on your way."

Ten gold pieces is indeed an extortionate toll; but it's certainly a much smaller price than surrendering a best quality weapon, let alone a runic one. But is it a worthy price to avoid trouble so early into your arrival?

The goon has one hand resting on the stained half of a handaxe at his hip - wary like you are - but extends the other hand, to receive payment.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bruno looks at the others of the group. He knows it's a lot of money, but they have it and it might be worth to pay up to get things moving. He also had to say a few things to the others which he'd rather not do in public.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard shrugs and begins counting it out before Dwarven Violence begins, then hands it over to the outstretched hand

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

You pay the extortionate toll, and the sloped goons stand aside for you to make your way across the bridge. Small Gaétan is visibly relieved, and hobbles forth to lead the way over the rancid south channel of the Grismerie.

It is surprising only to him, when the ambush falls. For Bruno and Jasmine, former professionals of the road and river well acquainted with the world of toll takers extortionate or otherwise, the move seems foolish. If you start ambushing you victims after they pay the extortionate toll, then very quickly people stop paying and there's no one to ambush either. Toll taking is a business like any other, and reaving one's own client base is bad for long term sustainability. But all of you were suspicious from the start, and when at the other end of the bridge a trio of Sang thugs emerge to block the way and box you in, and more begin scrambling up the sides of the bridge and crawling over, you are at least mentally prepared for the fight...

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Everyone can take a free Ready Action, in addition to not being surprised, for being so plainly suspicious of the circumstances. Then roll initiative!

"Wait, wait - there is no need for-" Small Gaétan begins, pivoting about and hobbling at his full speed back towards the two who let you by. Lefty barely breaks stride to kick him. The toe of a ratty boot catches the diminutive guide full in the stomach and carries him into the air with a pitiful choking gasp. His heels clip the decrepit remains of a railing on one side of the bridge and he spins end over end to splat into the foetid water. His crutch, having remained somehow comically upright until this point, clatters to the boards; and the misshapen cretins close in with cudgels, axes and ropes in hand...

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

(1d10+3)[9] - Lefty
    (1d10+3)[5] - Righty
    (1d10+3)[13] - Sang Goon3
    (1d10+3)[13] - Sang Goon4
    (1d10+3)[5] - Sang Goon5
    (1d10+3)[7] - Sang Flanker6
    (1d10+3)[6] - Sang Flanker7
    (1d10+3)[11] - Sang Flanker8
    (1d10+3)[9] - Sang Flanker9

Lefty and Righty have hand weapons readied when combat begins. Flankers have lassos. Goons have bolas.

To be clear, the speculative house rules I proposed are not yet in effect; I figure we'll close out this arc of the story using the rules we're all equipped and used to, and make changes in a good spot of downtime. For now, let's get initiatives on the board in the OOC!
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2024-05-13 at 07:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard W 8/13 FP 4/5 Init 10

Show
    [roll[1d100[/roll] Channelling 87
    (4d10)[24] -4 TN14

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard W 8/13 FP 4/5 Init 10

Taking his cues from he more streetwise of his companions Wighard had been gathering up the winds around him; his left palm resting on the blade of his axe.

The release of energy and lifeforce sends 8 jets of burning blood from Wighard's left hand towards their ambushers and Lefty

Schalpp meanwhile jumps into the river after their guide

Show

Well I ballsed that up, so here we go again

(1d100)[1] WP87
    (4d10)[6][5][8][4](23)

Shadowblood
    Casting Number: 14
    Casting Time: Full action
    Ingredient: The blood of a Vampire (+2)
    Description: Burning blood leaps from your hands and ignites a target within 12 yards (6 squares).This is a
    magic missile causing a Damage 4 hit that affects a number of targets equal to your Magic Characteristic.
    Its duration is instant. If you spend 5 Wounds cutting yourself to provide blood for the spell, you may double the number of targets.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2024-05-13 at 08:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Show

Lefty (1d10)[4] +4 = 8
    Sang Goon3 (1d10)[9] +4 = 13
    Sang Goon4 (1d10)[4] +4 = 8
    Sang Goon5 (1d10)[10] +4 = 15
    Sang Flanker6 (1d10)[2] +4 = 6
    Sang Flanker7(1d10)[8] +4 = 12
    Sang Flanker8 (1d10)[7] +4 =11
    Sang Flanker9 (1d10)[7] +4 = 11
    Last edited by wilphe; 2024-05-13 at 08:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Show

(1d100)[52]77
    (1d10)[1]

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As soon as he noticed the goons climbing up, he drew the company blade and turned towards the nearest guy, ready to defend himself.