New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: OOC II: DH The Purity of Sacrifice

Thank you for the understanding. Getting to IC posting now.

@Banana and Wynde: Do we have a finalized decision? Can't tell if you are still discussing or posing your plan to me.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wynde might be a tad busy with IRL, and it was his idea so I don't want to impede upon it.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

3. - Top - End - #693
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    We could use the charts and stuff we just got as bait? Slip the word that we have some info on xeno weapon smuggling shipments through the Hive that are available to the highest bidder.

Something like that is sure to catch the guys attention, because he thinks he might be incriminated, so takes it as a necessity to meet us in person to cover his own ass and that of Half-face.

When it comes to flipping him into a mole, the unfortunate thing is that neither of us have any social skills.

Maybe, remember what we did with those three kids? Marcella wrote a clearance code onto a piece of paper and orders that they be tithed to the planetary defense force? Maybe we could use something like that here; get him somewhere he can input a clearance code and see we're the real deal, we know a lot more than we look like we do and we really are with some sort of internal affairs. He doesn't know which one specifically, but he knows he's being watched and his illicit affairs have been documented. Alternatively, we just tell him something like "Hey, do you remember recently how three boys came through here from the Underhive, baring a clearance code and tithe orders? Who do you think gave it to them? How do you think we know about it? Yeah, you better listen to us."

Then give him the simple choice: stay in the blast radius of Half-face when the hammer drops, or work for us as a triple-agent and have his crimes overlooked.

Arl can tell Marc beforehand whether she should use any of her mind-powers, like speak to him telepathically or something etc as an extra nail in the 'we're in a group you want to be allied with' coffin, or whether to play it low.

Yeah, legit that's more worth it XD haha, you're doing Gods work, so no need to apologise.

If you make the "downside risk" of not flipping bad enough, you might not need a social roll...;)

As for bait... While pulling an "Axel Foley" and using the evidence from crime "A" to lure in criminal "B," I suspect that using the information we just got might seem a little too pat an answer. Besides, unless someone really paranoid goes back to examine the computer, they probably don't know that we have the information in hand. No sense tipping them off.

I like "tipping him off" that we are internal affairs, at least to start -- it keeps the stakes low enough that he's not going to grab a Rogue Trader-shaped hammer and doesn't risk our covers.

I still want to get the file on him read first -- there may be other ways we can hook him.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndeward View Post
    If you make the "downside risk" of not flipping bad enough, you might not need a social roll...;)

As for bait... While pulling an "Axel Foley" and using the evidence from crime "A" to lure in criminal "B," I suspect that using the information we just got might seem a little too pat an answer. Besides, unless someone really paranoid goes back to examine the computer, they probably don't know that we have the information in hand. No sense tipping them off.

I like "tipping him off" that we are internal affairs, at least to start -- it keeps the stakes low enough that he's not going to grab a Rogue Trader-shaped hammer and doesn't risk our covers.

I still want to get the file on him read first -- there may be other ways we can hook him.

Ahh, I think we're currently on "one night assignments" sort of thing atm, so we don't really have time to go home and read his file and think up hooks atm.

However, Arl did read his file earlier, so if the GM had any tid-bits to throw out as "Arl remembers..." that we could use....?
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2024-05-07 at 09:56 PM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

However, Arl did read his file earlier, so if the GM had any tid-bits to throw out as "Arl remembers..." that we could use....?
    What Arl has accomplished so far:

However, [Arl] spends the next few days putting out feelers, and Arl finds out that there are rumors regarding corruption in the local Enforcers. A couple of conversations indicate that some of the Enforcers might be taking bribes from Boss Half Face, who unsurprisingly has way too many thrones, to carry even further weaponry and drugs down to the Underhive. He gets the name of one Enforcer in-particular, an Officer Kant, who several of Arl's contacts indicate is likely involved in the racket.
    He speaks to the Interrogator and the Interrogator agrees to pull Officer Kant's file.

From there, we never followed up, but I think it is reasonable to assume that this could have been accomplished and Arl has some sort of official file on Officer Kant. I think it is reasonable to assume such a file would include the officer's full name, his precinct and badge number, his home address, and record of any concerns or disciplinary actions that have been taken against the officer. If you want me to detail any of this further, please let me know.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #696

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

What Arl has accomplished so far:

He speaks to the Interrogator and the Interrogator agrees to pull Officer Kant's file.

From there, we never followed up, but I think it is reasonable to assume that this could have been accomplished and Arl has some sort of official file on Officer Kant. I think it is reasonable to assume such a file would include the officer's full name, his precinct and badge number, his home address, and record of any concerns or disciplinary actions that have been taken against the officer. If you want me to detail any of this further, please let me know.
    Arl would want the full measure of the man, at least as much as the file will provide, starting with:

Any commendations? Are there any indications of physical bravery?

Disciplinary jacket - If he has any infractions, what are they? While I doubt "police brutality" usually counts as a concern, is our Officer Kant an over-achiever? Is he corrupt beyond the ordinary graft that accrues to a constable? Do his superiors have any suspicions regarding him.

Ideally, I'd like the most recent evaluation from his direct superior -- is he a goon, a weasel, an up-and-comer? Is he a blunt instrument or is he a planner who is going places?

I'd also like his personal statistics -- anything about his habits, his associates, any family -- I am looking for a chink in his armor.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Am battling a vicious man cold since Tuesday this week. Hope I'll be well enough to post during the weekend.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As far as Arl could tell from the dossier, Officer Kant's career has been mostly unremarkable; the sort of man who just barely made his badge and has done little to impress since that time. The file does indicate that he has had several minor disciplinary actions against him and supervisorial concerns; intoxication on the job, reckless violence during criminal detentions, concern for taking bribes from criminal organizations. His punishments have included more and longer shifts in the Underhive, which has probably worked out in favor of Officer Kant.

His file indicates that he has a wife and four children, though based on his service records, it appears he likely does not spend to much time at his hab. The address of the hab and the names of all his depedents is in the file as well.

@Rax: Feel better.

@All: Traveling today, so posting may be a little spotty the next day or so, but fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for once.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

At the moment, Kant sounds too unreliable to be a regular, paid informant. He sounds like the type to brag to others that he's "got protection" and indulge his worst impulses, or use us to get rid of some of his debtors by feeding us false info.

Maybe best to catch him alone, claim we're "internal affairs", he's been under surveillance for a while, say some personal info to him that only such a group would know (summary of his career, his address, kids names etc), and that we know he's looking the other way for some weapon shipments from Half-face, but that, unfortunately for him, those shipments are a lot of trouble, so he's going to keep us informed on Boss Half-face's movements/shipments from now on, unless he wants see his wife and kids shipped off to a penal colony while he goes to the electric chair.

Unfortunately, we don't have the social skills to charm or 'intimidate'. So, I think if we use my earlier idea to comment on the three boys that we tithed into the PDF, a special clearance code etc to verify we're not to be messed with?

Marc revealing she's a telepath could be last resort, but an option if we really need it.

10. - Top - End - #700

Beholder

At the moment, Kant sounds too unreliable to be a regular, paid informant. He sounds like the type to brag to others that he's "got protection" and indulge his worst impulses, or use us to get rid of some of his debtors by feeding us false info.

Maybe best to catch him alone, claim we're "internal affairs", he's been under surveillance for a while, say some personal info to him that only such a group would know (summary of his career, his address, kids names etc), and that we know he's looking the other way for some weapon shipments from Half-face, but that, unfortunately for him, those shipments are a lot of trouble, so he's going to keep us informed on Boss Half-face's movements/shipments from now on, unless he wants see his wife and kids shipped off to a penal colony while he goes to the electric chair.

Unfortunately, we don't have the social skills to charm or 'intimidate'. So, I think if we use my earlier idea to comment on the three boys that we tithed into the PDF, a special clearance code etc to verify we're not to be messed with?

Marc revealing she's a telepath could be last resort, but an option if we really need it.
    That scans -- he's probably just hired help.

We *might* be able to use our already established covers as members of the Credit Guild -- it would put us outside the "normal" chain of command, so there is no back-channel way Kant could verify our identities. I don't think he's a big enough fish to pull in the Rogue Trader's or a noble's assistance, which is a plus in our favor.

I would think a bit of the carrot and stick would work in our favor here. Leave him enough daylight to have hope, which would keep him on the hook.

Beyond that, I like your plan.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That scans -- he's probably just hired help.

We *might* be able to use our already established covers as members of the Credit Guild -- it would put us outside the "normal" chain of command, so there is no back-channel way Kant could verify our identities. I don't think he's a big enough fish to pull in the Rogue Trader's or a noble's assistance, which is a plus in our favor.

I would think a bit of the carrot and stick would work in our favor here. Leave him enough daylight to have hope, which would keep him on the hook.

Beyond that, I like your plan.

The carrot we could offer is forgiving/forgetting, his prior crimes. He cooperates and we take down half-face, his misdeeds are forgotten. Or, wife/kids off to penal colony, and he gets a hot date with Ol' Sparky.

Using our Credit Guild covers could work, though we'd have to be surreptitious about it. No striding about in golden robes. Probably just flashing ID's and saying we're following up some irregulates in the wake of Lord Drimmle's death, and Kant's name has arisen with concerning regularity, and checking some other sources and collaborating with internal affairs has produced a disturbing accusation well-furnished with evidence: that Kant has been helping Boss Half-Face smuggle dangerous weapons into the Mid-hive.

Think that'd work?

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I think either would work, though assume you are posing the question to Wynde. Would suggest using the Credit Guild cover as The Interrogator has told you all multiple times now how important it is to maintain cover.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Emperor's Tarot is also used as a card game, with rules similar to poker.

14. - Top - End - #704

Beholder

The carrot we could offer is forgiving/forgetting, his prior crimes. He cooperates and we take down half-face, his misdeeds are forgotten. Or, wife/kids off to penal colony, and he gets a hot date with Ol' Sparky.

Using our Credit Guild covers could work, though we'd have to be surreptitious about it. No striding about in golden robes. Probably just flashing ID's and saying we're following up some irregulates in the wake of Lord Drimmle's death, and Kant's name has arisen with concerning regularity, and checking some other sources and collaborating with internal affairs has produced a disturbing accusation well-furnished with evidence: that Kant has been helping Boss Half-Face smuggle dangerous weapons into the Mid-hive.

Think that'd work?
    Yeah, the gold robes would be out... although I like the idea of posing as auditors from the Credit Guild.

Initially, we should be vague about his role -- we don't want him to know what we don't know, as it were.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, the gold robes would be out... although I like the idea of posing as auditors from the Credit Guild.

Initially, we should be vague about his role -- we don't want him to know what we don't know, as it were.
    Awesome. Pose as auditors from thr Credit Guild here to investigate 'off the book dealings' in the wake of Lord Drimmles death, we're interested in what he knows and does, we're more interested in protecting the Guilds image, so if he's not clean with us then we could all hang etc.

Sounds good to me!

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Great, sounds like a plan and thanks for the patience. One last vital question then. Where are you going to find him; are you going to his preceinct or to his house, or somewhere else?

EDIT: I guess we will assume they are playing Emperor's Tarot then. Thank you.

And I will wait for Rax to reply IC to Orla.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2024-05-15 at 05:22 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ettin in the Playground

EDIT: I guess we will assume they are playing Emperor's Tarot then. Thank you.
    This sounds ever so slightly heretical

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Great, sounds like a plan and thanks for the patience. One last vital question then. Where are you going to find him; are you going to his preceinct or to his house, or somewhere else?
    I'm just guessing, but Arl might prefer to catch him alone, prolly on the way home from work etc.

However Wynde decides it, I'll go with.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2024-05-15 at 09:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #709

Beholder

I'm just guessing, but Arl might prefer to catch him alone, prolly on the way home from work etc.

However Wynde decides it, I'll go with.
    I think my ideal circumstances would be to catch him far enough from the precinct that he's feeling relaxed. Ideally, if there is a watering hole or similar "rec center" he favors, catch him there.

Introduce ourselves as being Credit Guild auditors, ask some boring but leading questions, thank him for his assistance and let him stew a bit.
    Last edited by Wyndeward; 2024-05-17 at 07:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I think my ideal circumstances would be to catch him far enough from the precinct that he's feeling relaxed. Ideally, if there is a watering hole or similar "rec center" he favors, catch him there.

Introduce ourselves as being Credit Guild auditors, ask some boring but leading questions, thank him for his assistance and let him stew a bit.
    Sounds good, lets get him at his usual bar.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2024-05-19 at 04:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thank you all for the patience. Will get posts up tomorrow morning, I promise.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Banana and Wynde: I would assume the file on Officer Kant won't just list his favorite pub... I mean this is a fascist Empire and all, but I don't think he's important enough to keep that sort of info on

So with that said, the group will likely need to shadow him first to catch him at his favorite haunt. Do you want to start with a stealth roll to represent shadowing him to his favorite pub? If you are both following him, you will both need to roll, but can take a +20 for "assisting each other"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Okidokie, Marc will use her Chameleon power for half agi (17)+ 30 (Chameleon) + 20 assist = TN 67.

Stealth: (1d100)[26] vs TN 67.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2024-05-19 at 09:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #714

Beholder

Okidokie, Marc will use her Chameleon power for half agi (17)+ 30 (Chameleon) + 20 assist = TN 67.

Stealth: (1d100)[75] vs TN 69.
    Arl will also undertake to follow Officer Kant

Agility 41 + Stealth +10 +20 Assist = 71

Stealth: (1d100)[75] vs. TN 71

Edit = one hopes that the Trait "Unremarkable" would be of some use here....
    Last edited by Wyndeward; 2024-05-19 at 09:14 PM.