New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony 2F: Ponibooru, We Hardly Knew Ye...

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Delancie touches On What we all saw when we first started. Not quite memes, no quite in-jokes, not quite nifty fanon, just ruthless, in-the-moment optimism. Delancie rekindles that when you see him. It's like watching a loved one open the perfect gift.
    He's also really high-profile and involved in an active project to portray the fandom (whereas Tara is just fun and likes trolling and Lauren Faust is amazing but also doing other stuff right now).

This I agree with. If I was not going with friends, would have been a waste. I'm doubly sorry we couldn't find you, I'd like to think a purple hours over a meal would have improved your trip considerably
    Friendship is magic and all that. Also though, I think most people would agree that meeting new people is really tough, even when you share interests. Having a group basically has this crazy resonance effect where everyone gets progressively happier.

Well, yeah. That's natural.
    There are people who think Love & tolerance means a smile and a Louisville slugger. There are people who dress up as Fluttershy instead of Gir or some other cute character and being a paycho who wants to light stuff on fire. There are people who will stop at surface level, change the bitmap and be satisfied. "Look!" they say, "my space marine totally has a Fluttershy cutie mark!". This is technically pony. But it's standard con stuff.

The things achieved by the other, smaller percentage are, in my mind, worthwhile. On one hoof, I wen to a convention, heeled out, made some tawdry jokes and drank coffee at a convention center. On the other hoof, I helped a bunch of friends get together and har a good time, bond over obscure references, and destress while refilling the Friendship tanks to get them through the next while. That's where I'm focusing.
    You need all of these things. What makes bronies impressive, and what I think De Lancie has latched on to, is a combination of a desire to do some good in the world and sustained enthusiasm. There are many charities and wonderful organizations, but they rarely move people. Everyone says they care about giving food to the homeless and helping eradicate disease and poverty and so forth, but many people do not act. Bronies act. Sometimes that's because we care about friendship and community and the values of the show. And sometimes, it's because somebody saw a space marine with a Fluttershy cutie mark, it made that person feel happy, and that happiness translated into spreading enthusiasm around.

Also, keep in mind that the people who go to a convention are people that are really passionate about the things they love. And passion can transfer. 4000 people went to Bronycon, and I can say confidently that many of them are either working or will be working in the future. And if they hang on to the values of love and tolerance, charity and enthusiasm that the fandom espouses, I think that will translate into those people doing good in the world later in life, independently from just spreading pony images and talking about a cartoon.

shame? Why? I can maybe understand sheepishness, shyness, but shame?
    If you're ashamed, don't do it. I can't understand a simple situation where you know there is a big emotional cost and you go in anyway.
    I wouldn't say never do something if you're ashamed. Sometimes people feel shame going into something, get there, and realize it's different than what they expected.

What I would say is don't do anything that you really feel is bad, or wrong, or that makes you unhappy. If you're actually worried that other people will give you a hard time for liking ponies, watch the show in secret and talk about it over the Internet. But if you're all by yourself and all you can think about is how other people might make fun of you if you get caught, you might be a bit too paranoid.

Also, keep in mind that if you're feeling so ashamed, you might not be giving other people in your life enough credit. Not all of them will love My Little Pony with you, but many will just give a bemused smile and move on with little or no change to how they treat you. I've personally introduced a few friends, who said they kind of liked the show but don't go out of their way to watch it, which has been fine. I got one girlfriend really into it, but sadly we broke up a while ago for other reasons. And my parents found me out last summer when we were all listening to "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" and I answered their unexpected fandom question very confidently. And both my parents basically shrugged and moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    OotS was my first. xD
    Penny Arcade was my first, followed by xkcd, and then Ozy and Millie, which went from totally mainstream to "how did I end up here?" I didn't get into OoTS into way later when a guy in my D&D group made a Miko reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    I am alive again after some sleep.

Here are Con pictures I have taken, due to lighting (especially after the fire and lights became less bright) and being a generally horrible photographer, many picture are slightly blurry and /or dim.

For some quick highlights:

The building so filled with love that it was on fire
    Spoiler
    Show

Tara, Lauren and John in cute Hats
    Spoiler
    Show

Lauren receiving her Gift
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony threaders! I am bad with names so I will not identify who is who. Note the back of Peter New and John De Lancie hidden in the corner of the first picture.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponythreaders, identify yourselves, I want to know who you are.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-07-03 at 12:19 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do I really need to identify myself?

Hint: I'm the only girl XD
    Last edited by Brazen Shield; 2012-07-03 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Tone
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    I love my filly~

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    Do I really need to identify myself?

Hint: I'm the only girl XD
    Every other ponythreader
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I was reading DMFA from strip, what, 12? It was my very first webcomic. It also shaped a fair bit of my mind for that reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    OotS was my first. xD
    Sluggy Freelance was the first web comic I read. I gave it up a few years ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Occurs to me that Bon Bon would make a good Only Sane Mare
    Bon Bon is the clear straight man in the double act that is her and Lyra's relationship (add your own play on the word "straight" here). I don't think I've ever seen a fan work where Bon Bon was the comic element.

Quote Originally Posted by SynissterSyster View Post
    I dare say that the fanon here is getting to be to the level of Harry Potter (imo). The amount of fanfics and art is growing more each day. That being said I have read more fics about this fandom then I have for other fandoms I been apart of. Heck I even started to get into drawing again so I can put up my own fan art. I still suck at art so it will take a lot of practice. I believe I am rambling in this post but that is okay.

Thanks again all and keep up the super work!!
    Heh, yeah the amount of fan content is insane. I have no drawing talent but I have enjoyed writing fan fiction.

Best part of writing and posting it is getting feedback and comments on it. It's interesting to see what people respond to, and it's not always what you expect it to be. And just an hour ago I got a really well thought out comment about how one of my stories had a great theme going about struggling with mortality, the psychological impact it's had on Twilight to be growing up and living in the shadow of immortals and how it's driven her to push herself incredibly hard and sometimes in unhealthy or self-destructive ways.

So I read that and I thought "Geeze, I thought I was just writing about ponies." But the guy made some really compelling arguments so I'm going to have to keep an eye on it as I write the next few chapters
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Titan in the Playground

*looks around*

Well, ponythread is still here, I suppose, and appears to be nominally not on fire or something... Surprised we're on the same thread, actually.

Should I take this as a good sign...?

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    I am alive again after some sleep.

Here are Con pictures I have taken, due to lighting (especially after the fire and lights became less bright) and being a generally horrible photographer, many picture are slightly blurry and /or dim.

For some quick highlights:

The building so filled with love that it was on fire
    Spoiler
    Show

Tara, Lauren and John in cute Hats
    Spoiler
    Show

Lauren receiving her Gift
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony threaders! I am bad with names so I will not identify who is who. Note the back of Peter New and John De Lancie hidden in the corner of the first picture.
    Spoiler
    Show

I detect a Raz! :O

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

*looks around*

Well, ponythread is still here, I suppose, and appears to be nominally not on fire or something... Surprised we're on the same thread, actually.

You should have seen it. We were all self-regulating without you or the mods. We even spun out an offtopic discussion into a different thread. Basically, you've succeeded in pushing us out of the nest and now we can fly.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

8. - Top - End - #1388

*looks around*

Well, apparently a bunch of Ponythreaders went to Bronycon, and Bronycon caught fire. Is this an improvement? Is it related to your absence? Are the two events I mention related to each other?
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

9. - Top - End - #1389

I will say that I am not in any of these pictures. Although I may have been shown somewhere in some of the "Hour with De Lancie" videos people have taken.

Also, Thanqol's prize is the the only remaining item yet to be fulfilled. (and Voice message) It's because I have not received it yet, and don't have details, the producers are probably exhausted from the con and still have to head towards BUCK and Galacon I believe. So I apologize for your reward delay Thanqol.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    !!

Why not? It hasn't been canceled, has it?
    It's still going. Just after a long enough period of me not participating (school happened, a lot), I got removed from the Dropbox and Google Docs containing everything. Last I heard, they were making a push to have something to show for Midwestria and UK Bronycon.

I totally understand the whole 'art sucks when it's mandatory' bit.
    What are you working on? I remember discussion o whether you should do a competing product, but no definitive results.
    Probably a competing product. Competing doesn't sound quite like the right word though. This is just something I wanted to do and, honestly, it was the design aspect I was really interested in.

I'm going to have to change some things regarding my original plan. Timeline, mostly. Instead of you arriving the Spring before Twilight arrives, I'm thinking it'll be maybe the generation prior. So you might see filly versions of the Mane 6, but most of Ponyville would be very different.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    How exactly do you mess around with a Pony Avatar, if you don't mind my prying?

You seem to have a reputation, Luka.
    Cuz everyone had that version of their normal avvies and I wanted one just for fun?

Tht's because I said that like every 5 pages and they just won't believe me when I say that I don't like them yet..... they even got mad at me for it.

You keep telling yourself these things and we keep not believing you.
    Dude, I don't even know anything about the show, don't read fics and said that I just dislike the aesthetics.... How exactly can't that be believed? and no denial, it's tru
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-07-03 at 01:16 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

*looks around*

Its been kinda a weird pace in this thread.

Speaking of which we should probably start coming up with the name. For the next one.

I submit

My Little Pony XLVIII:I say ol' chap, how about those Equestrians?

Certain parts emphasized as nessecary whatever our subtitle. Its not funny anymore.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Orc in the Playground

2 things:

Why is this not a real game:
    Spoiler
    Show

2nd. Shouldn't we start voting on the next thread name, so it gets disregarded by Trixie?

I propose "I say ol' chap, how about those equestrians?" As proposed on page 35.
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zigg'rrauglurr View Post
    2 things:

Why is this not a real game:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because there are few people who would be able to watch Fluttershy get zombiefied by Chrysalids.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

15. - Top - End - #1395

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Cuz everyone had that version of their normal avvies and I wanted one just for fun?

Tht's because I said that like every 5 pages and they just won't believe me when I say that I don't like them yet..... they even got mad at me for it.

Dude, I don't even know anything about the show, don't read fics and said that I just dislike the aesthetics.... How exactly can't that be believed? and no denial, it's tru
    We got mad when you kept saying it in nearly every post. We don't need to keep being reminded that you don't like ponies whenever you post. Especially when you're swimming in that river like your life depends on it.

And dude, you've established that you like Luna and Rainbow Dash, have a pony avatar, and post in here with enthusiasm.

Just accept the reality:

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post

If you dislike the aesthetics, why did you want an avatar for fun?

Speaking of which we should probably start coming up with the name. For the next one.
    With my changed number of posts per page, I forget when threads end and begin...

I submit

Certain parts emphasized as nessecary whatever our subtitle. Its not funny anymore.
    I propose "I say ol' chap, how about those equestrians?" As proposed on page 35.
    Hey, that came from me!

2nd. Shouldn't we start voting on the next thread name, so it gets disregarded by Trixie?
    Wait, what?
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-07-03 at 01:42 PM.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Because there are few people who would be able to watch Fluttershy get zombiefied by Chrysalids.
    Wouldn't Chrysalids just mimic her though?

Hey, that came from me!

Wait, what?
    Yes, and now we are using it, as we told you we would. Thank you for your input. And voting for next thread name is a thing here, given that we run a thread bi-week more or less... And Trixie disregarded precious votings, that's why I made a joke of it.

Edit: BY THE GODS!!! HOW I DID NOT SEE Soras Teva Gee PREVIOUS POST... I think that it got posted while I was looking for the original text...
    Last edited by Zigg'rrauglurr; 2012-07-03 at 01:47 PM.
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    You should have seen it. We were all self-regulating without you or the mods. We even spun out an offtopic discussion into a different thread. Basically, you've succeeded in pushing us out of the nest and now we can fly.
    Huh.

Well, that's... surprising.

Will nominally put Ponyard in charge again (even and especially if he didn't even know he was nominally in charge - if it ain't broke...) next time in a month.

Its been kinda a weird pace in this thread.

I submit

I don't normally chip in with thread titles (since unless it's hilarious, I don't really care) but I whole-metaphorically-heartedly agrree; very definately want to see a return to numbers/Roman numerals, since that joke has long since stopped being amusing.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hey, that came from me!
    Yes yes it did.

Wait, what?
    Trixie (who does the OPs) sometimes disregards whatever we come up with, this is not quite a democracy.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ettin in the Playground

Trixie (who does the OPs) sometimes disregards whatever we come up with, this is not quite a democracy.
    Woe betide those who think about just making the next thread themselves. There are rules to be followed.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    "The. Worst. Possible. Thing." is a Rarity gag that shows up a lot in the season 2 episode "Lesson Zero." It's a silly episode.
    Ah. Not that far yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    "But yah, not being in love with the show doesn't mean you can't hang around with the associated memes or whatnot. The worst-kept secret about Brony-ness is that it's an internet counter-culture meant at its core to reject the open hostility of the internet. Also ponies.
    That middleish sentence there.... I honestly have no idea what you just said.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    I assume you mean things like "geniune academic interest, I'm writing a paper on this phenomenon" or "morbid curiousity, I just wonder what the fuss is about". These do not make you a brony. You run considerable risk of becoming one, though!
    ... you guys know your stuff pretty dang well. Just that long watching people struggle against ... "the herd", if I recall right?

Yes yes it did.
    Yay! I'm relevant!

Not to be mean to Trixie, but shouldn't it be? Unless Trixie's a mod or something, in which case please don't kill me.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-07-03 at 01:49 PM.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Orc in the Playground

Yes yes it did.

As far as I understood, there was a vote to make voting not count. So I postulated that therefore that voting didn't count making voting count. But yeah that's why I sent my question to the tumblr.

23. - Top - End - #1403

And I want to see Maxtronaut shooting Thubby again

Spoiler
    Show
    MOTHER OF FAUST. O_O

*Shoots Thubby 9 times.*

I WANT THE TWILIGHT ONE. PLEASE.
    Last edited by Maxtronaut; 2012-07-03 at 02:09 PM.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Woe betide those who think about just making the next thread themselves. There are rules to be followed.

THIS IS BOWLING PONYTHREAD, THERE ARE RULES!

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

I don't normally chip in with thread titles (since unless it's hilarious, I don't really care) but I whole-metaphorically-heartedly agrree; very definately want to see a return to numbers/Roman numerals, since that joke has long since stopped being amusing.
    +1, understandable numbers written in a correct format please.

Unless you're Thanqol.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    MOTHER OF FAUST. O_O

*Shoots Thubby 9 times.*

Spoil that picture, it's killing the screen.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

THIS IS BOWLING PONYTHREAD, THERE ARE RULES!
    .... could have sworn I saw something on Screw The Rules I have Money about this... found it.

Spoiler
    Show

And I'm going to need to take a break... I fear I'm getting too close to the point of no return....
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-07-03 at 01:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Good one.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Orc in the Playground

.... could have sworn I saw something on Screw The Rules I have Money about this... found it.

Spoiler
    Show

And I'm going to need to take a break... I fear I'm getting too close to the point of no return....
    With the SamusPony and posting Pinkie were appropiate...

Welcome to the herd!:
    Spoiler
    Show

Now with themesong!
    Last edited by Zigg'rrauglurr; 2012-07-03 at 02:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Troll in the Playground

*is quietly nibbling on fanfiction*
    wait, wha-

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    MOTHER OF FAUST. O_O

*Shoots Thubby 9 times.*

*looks at bullet riddled fanfic*
    *teleports to maxtronaut, still filled with bullet holes*
    I will end you
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

With the SamusPony and posting Pinkie were appropiate...

Welcome to the herd!:
    Spoiler
    Show

Now with themesong!
    *3* Things.

1) I can't see what's in the Box. *attempts to get scary-hypno-pinkie out of eyes*

1a) Samus Aran is freaking awesome. Samus can be whatever she wants.

1b) It's hardly my fault that I become hyperactive when video games are mentioned. Proud Video Game Nerd, now and forever! I still have my Super Nintendo...

2) Still not even close to being finished with the series yet, so my feelings remain neutral at best over it.

And 3) Themesong? Gross. Singing.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-07-03 at 02:15 PM.