Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
The thing is, lutfisk is nothing compared to the horror that is surströmming.

*shudders*
Agreed. And I refuse to eat either Lutefisk or Surströmming. They are both vile, disgusting and just plain wrong.
Lutefisk in and of itself tastes of nothing. As in. It has no taste. The consistency is like half-coagulated snot. It's just plain wrong.

Surströmming is rotted fish. There's no other way to describe it. Several places in Sweden have banned surströmming from being eaten indoors because of the stench setting into the walls of the building for weeks afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty-Eyed Fred View Post
Haggis is very nice, and in no way bizarre in texture or anything like that. Highly recommended.
Haggis is nice. the only reason people won't try it is because they know wat's in it.
To be honest, though, a lot of these people are also very happy to eat a hot dog without batting an eyelid, even if a hot dog has a lot more crap in it than does haggis.

On the question of Aubergine/eggplant, try making Moussaka. Traditional greek dish, comparable to lasagna, only using eggplant instead of the pasta.
What I found when cooking Moussaka was that you get more taste to the eggplant if you let it soak in a bit of salt and pepper before you start cooking it. Kind of like marinading it with some spice beforehand. Worked really well for me.