Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
A rolled fried tortilla makes a taquito or occasionally a flauta around here. Tacos are distinguished by being open-topped and served in such a way as to be consumed as finger foods (albeit somewhat messy ones for the better tacos), which your pictures definitely aren't.. that particular serving style actually looks a lot more like an enchilada plate to me, served dry for some bizarre reason. The rest of the preparation sounds right, the meat and dressings are just stuffed inside an open tortilla instead of rolled into a fried one.

I suspect probably 'taco' also has uses as a generic term for 'anything served inside a smallish tortilla', as opposed to burritos that use much larger tortilla rounds.
I would beg to differ for 2 reasons:

1.- WE invented tacos, tortillas, flautas, enchiladas, chilaquiles, etc. So I guess we know about it.

2.- Taco is what I've shown. Taco is a way of serving lot's of things ROLLED inside a large tortilla, not a small one. Unless you talk about "Tacos al pastor", which is kinda like a Shishkebab put between 2 small tortillas put one over the other, served with pineapple, chopped onion and parsley. Adding lemon or salsa to it is nice.

Or unless you talk about "Tacos acorazados", in which you use two large tortillas put one above the other in order to turn it into one broader one. It's usually filled with mexican rice and beef milanesa.

So, as you can see, Mexico knows what he is talking about.