View Single Post

Thread: Folding@Home

1. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Re: Folding@Home

Goshdarnit.

Recently I formatted this computer, because I was too busy being naïve to notice that I had downloaded a trojan. Now I downloaded the newest version of F@H. However, maybe because I'm using my old username, F@H is using 0% CPU while System Idle Process is using ~98%. I've even checked the "slightly higher priority" box, and it is still humbly waiting for System Idle Process to finish its rounds.

Is it perhaps because the newer versions only kick in when I'm not using the computer? I haven't tested that yet. Used to be it took 50% of the CPU when I was using it before. Is there any way I could restore it to be that way? I generally didn't even experience slowdown in games with 50% CPU in the background.

Edit: Also now I can't see how many WU's I've working on, etc.

To above: I'm no distributed computing fanatic but I would say a good start if you're using windows is Task Manager's CPU monitoring, though that may have changed (as above) or, again, if in Windows, using the system tray icon.

Edit again! Woo for knowing when I've changed my post!

Log:
    Spoiler
    Show

--- Opening Log file [August 27 06:16:43 UTC]

# Windows CPU Systray Edition #################################################
    ################################################## #############################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.20

http://folding.stanford.edu

################################################## #############################

Launch directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Application Data\Folding@home-x86

[06:16:43] - Ask before connecting: No
    [06:16:43] - User name: Adghar (Team 82447)
    [06:16:43] - User ID not found locally
    [06:16:43] + Requesting User ID from server
    [06:16:58] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:17:13] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:17:13]
    + Could not get ID from server. Retrying...
    [06:17:33] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:17:48] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:17:48]
    [06:18:19] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:18:34] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:18:34]
    [06:19:23] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:19:38] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:19:38]
    [06:20:46] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:21:01] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:21:01]
    [06:22:36] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:22:51] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:22:51]
    [06:26:01] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:26:16] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
    [06:26:16]
    [06:28:26] Opening C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Application Data\Folding@home-x86\MyFolding.html...

Guess it is because I'm using my old user name. Anyone know of a way to fix this or will I have to wave goodbye to my score of 28000 and start afresh? Or is it just because the servers are down right now?

MOAR EDIT: Yesssss! I got it to work. It was just because F@H was being polite and letting Norton Antivirus keep it from doing anything. I'm back in the game! Although now I'm wondering if I should say screw it to this Norton trial and go back to AVG free. Also I might make banners/art if asked but I procrastinate like the dickens so if my brain suddenly decides it hates working with Illustrator again, I may not be able to finish. Also it would help if you told me specifically what to make and told it specifically to me. Preferably by PM. I know, demanding, but it's better than nothing.
    Last edited by Adghar; 2008-08-27 at 01:49 AM.