View Single Post

Thread: Folding@Home

1. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Folding@Home

I was wondering what would be wrong with work assignments greater than 5mb? what do they do to the computer?
    This setting affects the size of the work unit received - and the size of the work unit affects bandwidth and RAM used. For most people on broadband, even with the biggest WUs, bandwidth use shouldn't be an issue (although if on a basic plan that some providers have with something like a 1GB cap, then probably should stick with the small projects).

For RAM use, the largest size (if you permit the client to get large/big projects) is usually under 200MB for regular projects (can be a bit more for SMP projects).

If running XP and especially Vista with 1GB or less, would most likely want to keep the memory use small. With 2GB on a gaming machine, if don't want to manually stop & start the client, then that also should be kept to small projects.

Note - larger projects get a significant amount of bonus points to compensate for the extra resources used so for those that can set it to large projects (e.g. using windows graphics client but not running it while gaming), would be worthwhile to do so.

So the choice for RAM use depends on the situation.

Also the install options listed is a great reference, gonna be using those instructions one of my PC's tomorrow
    Although much of the entries are standard, that was a customized instructions for a specific case although the big changes would be memory (e.g. if allow work units greater than 5MB) and network access (i.e. Unless have special reasons, answer yes to the question "Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes)?".)

First, is that the best client to use? Here is a short description (this is for Windows, if it is another OS, let me know)

1) Windows Graphics Client - can use only one core, can only install one instance, probably needs to be turned off while running 3D apps/games (its OpenGL use on some systems can conflict with other 3D apps and games), shows basic graphics, standard windows interface.

2) Windows Console Client - can use only one core but permits multiple installs on the same computer (can install times as many as have cores), text only, has popular service mode option, uses almost no RAM (i.e. about 400K excluding work unit), can run in background no matter what else is running (if RAM settings are set appropriately). Note - if install multiple console clients on one computer, then make sure that the machine ID # is different for each client.

3) Windows SMP Client - in beta, for dual or quad core CPUs, runs special work units that can be quite large (over 200MBs), improved research capability so awarded significantly more points, will need to reinstall in October (beta clients expire at preset dates to enforce the use of newer/better versions), console only (service mode isn't working properly) but is still beta (i.e. might has the occasional issue with a work unit). Also this is only for computers that are on most of the time due to very tight deadlines.

4) Windows GPU client - in beta. I'd suggest waiting for the significantly better new version to be released in the next couple of months (most likely). This applies only to those with an ATI X1600 and higher graphics card (for Nvidia it would be 8800 series only but this looks unlikely this year if at all). This client is like the PS3 client (pretty, does extremely well but limited in types of work it can handle efficiently). More details will be posted when the new version of this client is released.

Note - the various consoles and graphic clients all have similar questions but the presentation can vary (e.g. max CPU use is by a slider instead of a number in the Windows graphics client).

Note - With Vista and using the console client, after placing the downloaded file into it's directory, don't forget to right click and select properties and then tick "Run this program as an administrator".

If have more questions, check the FAQ links on the client download page and take a look at the very useful WIKI http://fahwiki.net/index.php/How_tos
    or just ask
    Last edited by Zargon; 2008-03-02 at 05:48 AM.