View Single Post

Thread: Folding@Home

1. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Folding@Home

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    The thing is that I've only seen the one yellowish-green, and only for a while (perspective / frame-size could account for that), so I figured that something that's "normal" wouldn't be so "rare."
    Well, you're only modeling portions of proteins. Probably 20-40 amino acids at a time. It's too hard to do anything else, especially as some multimeric proteins can have thousands of amino acids.

Methionine is rare. It's unique to the first amino acid position in the chain. You'll only ever have one of those, regardless of how big the protein is. Cysteine is pretty rare too - it's usually found in the active site, which makes sense why you'd see it in the folded "pocket" of the peptide. Most of the amino acids found in a protein (ala, leu, gly) have R-group hydrocarbons, which explains all those grey and white atoms!

Quote Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
    Oh, well, I joined too.
    Couldn't stand not folding much longer (geez, I'm studying this kind of crap so ...).
    Lernst du Biochimie? Glueck! (du wirst es brauchen )
    Last edited by Elektro; 2007-11-01 at 07:28 PM.
    "Il nous faut de l'audace, et encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace" Georges Jacques Dalton

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never peril." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Current and Completed Diplomacy Games

The excellent Gen. George S. Patton avatar courtesy of Tomb_Raven