View Single Post

Thread: Got a house rule document? Share it!

1. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Got a house rule document? Share it!

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    In terms of creating base stats, I've found what worked for my table was 4d6 drop one, six times, and everyone gets a free 18 to add to that. Pick your six best numbers and place them how you want.

Tried the regular rolling rules, but seeing a lot of difference in stats didn't feel great for those with weak stats, and we had some power gamers want to keep rerolling stats because they didn't have an 18 or good enough rolls, and constantly rerolling wasn't fun.

Tried using point buy, but people didn't like point buy. "Too clinical, not organic, preferred the fun of rolling well in dice rolls" was the general consensus.

Getting the free 18 was what I found worked best for my table. Getting an 18 in a stat felt good, people weren't compelled to keep rolling, and people aren't particularly envious of other stats because even if you still had really ordinary rolls compared to someone else, you still had that 18 for yourself.
    I'm glad I've a good group of people who don't feel the need to game dice rolls. 4d6 drop one is good enough for most games and lower stats gets players to maneuver and use tactics to overcome their weaknesses rather than trying to brute force encounters. The game has many avenues of increasing the odds in your favor that you can "discover" when you live in the 10-14 score range trying to make up for your "deficit". I find players are much less likely to correctly gauge the difficulty of an encounter when they have higher stats because stats can cover up a lot
    Last edited by Darg; 2024-05-15 at 01:22 AM.