Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
So I'm still catching up, I'm at the part where Yza brings up how Samus would reach to messages in Silent Hill and now all I can think of is... What would she be like in Silent Hill?

What would the Town do to her?

She's got Darkness in her past, and trauma but... By Dread she's overcome much of it. Like, Ridley, the one being she hates and fears, is well and truly dead. All that remains of him is in her after she ate the X that ate his fried-drie clone. The space pirates are dead and gone, Kraid was the last of them and Samus's response to unexpectedly running into him on ZDR was basically just "looks like we're doing this" and she just utterly destroyed the X that ate him after she killed him.

Ravenbeak is a new trauma button but he'd dead.

The Metroids are extinct, the X are extinct...

Basically all that' there would be lingering trauma from the Baby, which I think she's over... And Adam.

The way Samus thinks about Adam in Fusion does not line up at all with the way he acts in Other M and even with the worst of Other M being localization errors she still puts up with a lot of **** from this guy. Even AI Adam, in hindsight, seems to think that Meat Adam was kind of a ****.

So it's pretty clear that her cognition of the man is warped.

Given that Samus is much younger than you'd think and was in fact a literal teenager when she served under Adam pre-series, and that she hadn't fully processed her trauma of losing her parents and original home yet, and would ot have had much contact with other humans before joining the Federation. She'd have been emotionally vulnerable.

There is a distinct possibility that he may have capitalized on this in a predatory manner, effectively grooming the veritable, physically godlike supersoldier with access to unique, difficult-to-replicate equipment to submit to his authority.

If true, Silent Hill would likely compel her to confront that the commander she holds in such high regard was an abuser.
That, plus I think Silent Hill would play upon the subtle fears of her body revolting against her- seen already with the Sa-X but made more manifest because this time it is not some external being taking over bits that were carved off of her to save her life, but instead something more direct and clearly her, inside.

The Phazon corruption she will experience, then the Metroid DNA, all the X-ified monsters she absorbs, Ridley included, then learning that even the Chozo blood in her isn't perfectly "clean" because of Raven Beak. Sure, she's killed all of these people, even if signs of them still exist within her... but what happens if it starts taking over? If all that built up evil starts to win and the universe is knackered because the only person who could stop her is her own dang self.

The thing about PTSD, something Samus definitely has, is that no matter how good you get, no matter how much you heal... that **** can flare up from time to time. I can imagine Samus having PTSD esque dysphoria when she looks in the mirror and wonders if her canines have always been that sharp, or if her eyes have always had that specific glow to them, or stuff like that.

And to be clear I kinda want this to happen. Metroid has always been a horror series, at its core. The seclusion of being the single human being on a dark, hostile world, hunting and being hunted in equal measure, that **** is choice horror- and sometimes that stuff is preferable to interacting with others, since it is easier to lose that human side of yourself in the emptiness of space. But with the constant companion of an idealized new Adam, and the budding realization that Samus truly is am amalgamation of every pain and trauma she's ever had- pain and trauma that she has beaten to death with her own genetically modified fists- I think there is a grand opportunity for some psychological horror for the next Metroid game, in addition to the standard stuff.

All that to say; they should make a Metroid game that has Signalis vibes.