1. - Top - End - #679
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: What drives a poor reputation for the Rogue class?

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    [I]When you factor in Magic Items, the disparity often becomes worse, because caster Legendary Items, such as a Cubic Gate have powerful effects; in this case it mimics the 9th level spell Gate.

Even if the Rogue has a Vorpal Saber, (a saber is a type of Rapier), does a 5% chance to outright kill the Red Dragon equal the value and flexibility that a Cubic Gate offers?
    Since when does a Rogue, with their one attack, want a Vorpal Weapon or, indeed, not have the ability to use a Cubic Gate?

If you're going to bring magic items into the argument, at least use one that actually supports your point.

A Rogue doesn't really want magic weapons to do anything more than hit more often or make more attacks. Bonus damage or effects on hit are things someone with lots of attacks wants. The kind of magic item a Rogue wants are those that increase their utility or enhance their speciality; something that grants invisibility for a stealth focused Rogue, for example, that or those that shore up a perceived weakness e.g. something that deals AoE damage.
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2024-05-11 at 11:34 AM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.