Quote Originally Posted by Beoric View Post
I suspect WotC limited them mostly because because many players only seem to be able to handle a limited number of options.
Pretty much; WOTC got player feedback that certain players enjoy having fewer options. This kind of player would likely play a Fighter or Rogue in earlier editions, so the 4.5 Fighter and Rogue were simplified to appeal to this kind of player. I think that didn't really work out, but that was the intent.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdragoon View Post
Knight and Slayer aren't terrible or anything, but monotonous.
Yes, that. Well, Knight ended up pretty bad; Slayer and Thief are solid middle-of-the-road options.

Battlemind and Ardent also seem to want to spam the same at-will*, and their dailies tend to tack on another Augment or otherwise have a similar stancelike "gain XYZ for this encounter"
Whereas Slayer has only few options, B'mind and Ardent actually have a lot of options but only a few of those are worth using. I'd say that's a design flaw. Also, B'mind and Ardent really suffer from a case of "WHY does this even exist"; both from a flavor perspective (you have to do quite a lot of mental leaps to find any famous fictional character that clearly represents this class and not another one) and from a mechanical perspective (they've basically "an existing class BUT with power points", and turns out that's not that big of a distinction).