Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
December 5th
Providence, RI
The night air is clear as John glances out of the doors.

I see, Emi replies. Harbinger has many dreams like that. He never knows if they are merely dreams or true visions, so I know it can be shocking to learn that what you dreamt is true.

He can tell that she wants to ask about the nature of his nightmare, but restrains her curiosity.
It….

John noticed the deep breath he took as Emi smiled at his mother’s comment.

It was a garden variety nightmare — despite the cast of extraordinary people. You were happy to be able to introduce your mother to a friend and…

…and I faced the possibility of losing you to another. Again.

Inwardly, he smiled wryly. My Amulet contains and controls my fears. But they still exist within me and can find their way into my nightmares alongside horrors from my past. It’s almost normal, if you make allowances for certain supernatural terrors.

Dr. Higgins goes over the worst of them with me and helps me make sense of them. If you ever come across An academic paper by her during your studies that talks about a patient whose fear response has been suppressed, you’ll know who she’s talking about — although I doubt AEGIS would let her publish on that topic.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
It isn’t that urgent, Emi assures him. He can feel a warmth radiating through their link. It’s good to know that you could find me even if I was somehow on one of Saturn’s moons.

She laughs lightly as John eventually quiets. Most likely.

After a few minutes, Mr. Shaw returns, ghosting through the door and then the stairs and wall.

“My apologies, again,” he says as he takes his seat once more.

A small request, Mr. Kelley, Mr. Shaw projects to John. Once we’re finished here, I would be grateful if you would teleport me to Aeon City instead of back to Iron Station.
Of course, Mr. Shaw. Emi and I were just discussing the assistance I would need to bring you in on target. You may have noted my somewhat noisy attempt to, um, curtail a certain set of explanations.

“Not at all, Alastair, Mary replied, noting the blush that had crept into her eldest son’s complexion and the hint of a dimple on Emi’s cheek, signaling some amusement at John’s response to something.

They seemed to grow a little closer together each visit. If next weekend were off the table….

She shifted her focus back to the here and now as best she could, seeking safer ground to begin from.

“Did you have an event in mind for either of your new dresses, dear? I know you have a birthday coming up. I didn’t know if John had yet offered some plans for the evening.”

He’ll have at least three — if not five, Kate noted to Mr. Shaw as she watched Emi carefully for the hint of a reaction, and Mom knows it. Has he given Emi any hints?

“Something special for a special dress, Boyfirend,” Jefferey teased. “No pressure.”