Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
If I was the GM, I would probably use response one (as has been repeatedly noted, players can forget stuff their characters wouldn't) but I don't know about two and three, they seem a bit like unnecessary hand-holding to me. Yes, the players should make informed decisions, but they should also be free to make mistakes. Though I suppose it might come down to who the players were and the specifics of the situation.
Different groups might well have different ideas of what an "informed" decision is.

I think at the very least when a player says they're making a decision that makes no sense to you, you have to make sure the player didn't forget something their character would know or isn't misunderstanding something about how the rules or game world work.

That requires talking out of character and basically asking "what is it you're trying to accomplish here" The most likely response is probably #1 - they forgot a vital clue, but it might be that they misunderstood something about the rules or basic situation. It's up to the GM to correct this because the GM is both the character's senses and the one who decides how the rules and game world works.