Quote Originally Posted by Fero View Post
Like others, I don't actively dislike the setting but feel it is a bit weak compared to other options.

First, I vaguely recall WotC ran a contest among the community to create a new setting and then awarded the prize to one of their own people, even in the face of other, more compelling, settings. That left a bad taste in my mouth.

Second, more substantively, Eberron always felt like a mismatch of disparate settings/genres that did not mesh well with each other or with the DnD rule system

Third, DnD already has many wonderful settings that it never developed for 3.5. Dark Sun, Planescape, and Spelljammer (to name a few) are all much more compelling to me than Eberron.

Finally, Eberron always felt like it was built with marketing, not story/setting first in mind. The whole setting screams early 2000s eXtreme in a way that aged poorly.

Again, these are just general impressions. I am by no means an expert in the setting.
I can get behind a lot of your points. For as much as I like about the setting, I feel a lot of the same sentiments. But the bolded part I'm not sure about. I remember seeing accusations fly around at some point about that, but wasn't this heavily debunked?