Quote Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
DM: You peek through the doorway and see a passage stretching into the darkness.
Wiz: I need ten minutes to get telepathic bond back up.
Cleric: Good idea, I'll take the time to roll the bones and see if we can get any information.
Rogue: I'm going to scout the corridor, checking for traps along the way, and see what I can map out while they are doing a ritual.
DM: OK. Cleric, what course of action are you looking at?
Cleric: Can I make that decision when the Rogue gets back?
DM: You can if they're back in time, otherwise you'll need to make a call at the end of the ritual time.
Rogue: I'll be back.
DM: OK, Rogue, what is your plan? And give me a stealth check.
Rogue: 22. Scout ahead, checking for traps along the way. I'll note any doors, but I won't go in. I'll just listen at the doorways for anything obvious, then move on. I'll turn back with enough time to make sure I'm there.
DM [draws on map]: You make your way down the hallway, using your passive investigation to check for traps along the way. You pass doors here, here, and here. At this one, you spotted a trip wire, although you don't know what it will set off without further investigation. Do you do so?
Rogue: I'm on a time limit, so nothing beyond the basics.
DM: OK. You hear some noises behind this door, but you can't tell what it is. You don't get anything from this door. Going any further risks not making it back in time.
Rogue: OK, heading back.
DM: Cleric, he'll be back in time, so what will you ask about?
Cleric: How about if we open the trapped door?
DM: The bones reveal both weal and woe - you sense great danger but great reward.

That entire exchange would take about a minute of real-time, and a big part of it is what the cleric is doing. If you don't think that was "worth it", then so be it, but it would be in my games.
Sure, that describes a simple scenario, in a not too strange environment, with veteran players.

Now swap out the players for 13 year old players, or adults that are drinking alcohol, and swap the locale for something more exotic, such as a biomechanical corridor placed in a giant Tentacle tower, that rises from the earth. It might take more than a minute of real-time to resolve that.

That is part of why I brought up Scouting. In my experience, Scouting has always been a contentious issue, and depending upon the complexity of the scenario, the level of experience of the players, (and their level of inebriation), how long real time resolution takes will vary.