Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
I mean, theres a difference between lying about your name and having a false identity. A fake identity, people are greeting you down at the pub, merchants will take your credit, maybe you can get yourself an invite to a fancy/private party. Stuff like that.

Also worth pointing out, a false identity doesn't mean you are disguised. You might still look like you, which can be advantageous because people can't see through your real face, or expose your beard as fake if its your real beard. Wear a disguise, commit your crime, then take off your fake beard and turn back into Brice Lane, mild mannered playboy and new money in town, who everyone in town will vouch for being an upstanding chap.
I know there's a difference, that isn't the question. The question is whether non-Assassins can make one, not whether they're different.

If they can't, that one feature is arbitrarily limiting every other rogue (not to mention every other skill-based character - you want to tell me a Bard can't make a false identity??) and should be thrown out.

If they can, then the rogue has every feature they need to make failing at making one a statistical anomaly already, meaning the feature isn't worth the paper it's printed on, and should be thrown out.

Ergo, conclusion - throw it out. Evidently a conclusion WotC themselves came to as well, even if they don't quite know what to replace it with yet.