View Single Post

Thread: The Gadgeteer

1. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: The Gadgeteer

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    I don't want to rain on your parade (fencing pun not intended), but "gadgeteer" is already a word in itself.
    I mean, I know that Gagdeteer is a word in itself, but the whole idea (for me) came from realization of that the word could be a portmanteau of a Gadget Musketeer (hence, the wordplay. Aaand maybe a bit of swordplay).

Also you don't need a DM being permisive with the Crossbow Expert feat, you can just take the Gunner feat.
    Actually, Crossbow Expert's and Gunner's similarities end in ignoring loading properties and a hostile creature within 5 feet. Sadly, those two weren't the issue here.
    The real issue is that Crossbow Expert specifically mentions "When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow you are holding." I was implying to achieve this with a firearm instead via DM leniency.

Now, subclass-wise, if you want to be a high DEX musketeer type who fights with gadgets, you should likely go Battle Smith. Armorer is more Iron-Man-style power armor.
    Yeah, probably. It's just the Steel Defender I'm struggling with as it adds nothing to the flavor or concept, and is mostly a useless liability.

My main advice, though, is to multiclass as soon as you got what you want out of Artificer. I would either go Rogue or Fighter.
    In that case, I might as well take the Artillerist, as suggested above (twice), multiclass to Fighter 5+ for the Extra Attack, maybe Eldritch Knight to shore up some loss of spell slot progression, and go back to Artificer at some point.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-04-28 at 04:31 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014