Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
In short, I am saying that if the GM is obliged to tell the players what they believe to be the easiest solution to any problem, it ceases to feel like a role-playing game to me. As you are no longer expected to solve problems in character, and thus meta-gaming becomes the norm, you are no longer really playing a role. Likewise, you are no longer overcoming challenges and solving problems, you are simply following the GM's directions, so it is not really a game anymore. At this point, it really feels more like an actor following a script than a role-playing game. Of course, the player still have the option to go off script and fail intentionally, but at that point I still think it feels more like a collaborative storytelling activity than an RPG.
Let's imagine the following situation:

A fae talks with the PCs, and the fae explicitly does not know who the PCs are beside "some mortals".

At one point, a PC asks why the fae didn't do X, and the fae decides to lie and says it's because of Y.

Ex:

PCs: "Why didn't you stop Queen Medb's forces from kidnapping the local ruler's son before he was taken to Medb's fairy realm?"
Fae: "it's because my Queen, Titania, forbid us from interfering with the Unseelie's actions toward mortals."
PC knowledge: Titania actively encourages her subject to hinder the Unseelie in any way they can, no matter the reason, due to her rivalry with Medb.

Now, it happens that one of the PCs has the kind of knowledge/character traits/background/etc that would immediately let them know that "it's because of Y" is a complete lie.

Would you interrupt the scene, look at the player whose PC would have the knowledge, and state "due to [insert relevant reason], your PC knows that the fae is lying about this last part, Y would never result in X"?