Quote Originally Posted by Cptn Whoopass View Post
Hey all.

Our party is taking some downtime in Waterdeep right now. I'm playing an Arcane Trickster that has yet to acquire the "Sleight of Hand" skill. I would like to change this during our downtime period. When I told the DM this, he said he wasn't quite sure how my character could do it. I told him I would do some research and let him know what I found. So ... are there any trusted D&D resources that can share with him?

Is it as simple as thinking outside the box and being creative? Can the "Sleight of Hand" be acquired thru some sort of apprenticeship? Should I follow some expert thieves around and take note of how they successfully use the skill? Do I need to spend a few months on the road with a traveling magician? How has this issue been handled in your games? Any help would be appreciated. TIA
Training

A character might be offered special training in lieu of a financial reward. This kind of training isn't widely available and thus is highly desirable. It presumes the existence of a skilled trainer-perhaps a retired adventurer or champion who is willing to serve as a mentor. The trainer might be a reclusive wizard or haughty sorcerer who owes the queen a favor, the knight-commander of the King's Guard, the leader of a powerful druid circle, a quirky monk who lives in a remote mountaintop pagoda, a barbarian chieftain, a warlock living among nomads as a fortune-teller, or an absentminded bard whose plays and poetry are known throughout the land.

A character who agrees to training as a reward must spend downtime with the trainer (see chapter 6 for more information on downtime activities). In exchange, the character is guaranteed to receive a special benefit. Possible training benefits include the following:

-The character gains inspiration daily at dawn for 1d4 + 6 days.
-The character gains proficiency in a skill.
-The character gains a feat.
DMG, p.231.

Waterdeep should have at least a few of such skilled trainers, for Sleight of Hand. And even more people who have said trainer in their contacts.