Quote Originally Posted by Waazraath View Post
Late to the party and not gonna go through all 7 pages of comments, so might adress something that has been said before. The only thing I saw in my games what would justify a poor reputation is the higher dependency on the RNG. If you can only make one attack (especially in low op environments where there are no reaction attack shenenigans and without bonus action advantage) and the rolls are unlucky, lets say, 3 times in a row in combat, the combat can be over without the rogue contributed hardly anything.

I've seen this happen, and it seriously deminished the the fun the player can have. High damage single attack is all nice an well, but not when you miss too many of those.
Adding to this:

- Since it's dealing damage in fewer chunks, sneak attack wastes more damage to overflow than the competition.
- Sneak Attack is vulnerable to counterplay.
- A need to consistently qualify for sneak attack can limit tactical options, such as party positioning and the like.

What do I mean by that? Well, let's say for example, say you want to do some ranged kiting. Well, you still need to qualify for sneak attack. If you do it by using your bonus action, you are not mobile. If you do it by using an ally in melee, they are not kiting (and you need turn order to line up in your favor too, or use readied actions, which have their own downsides). And if the enemy is inflicting Disadvantage, you need both.

In exchange for dealing with such things, a Rogue deals merely decent damage.

And remember, the point of burst output isn't just to show off, it's to save party resources by reducing the amount that enemy actions cost the party.