1. - Top - End - #107
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: The Noctuary (D&D 3.5e, Level 20+ Adventure)

Are we using any "Once a class skill, always a class skill" approaches? Class skills can get complicated with multiclassing otherwise.

I've created a sheet for Eilyra, and fluff is present(Although I will be doing another review of it later).

She will be a gish with a fair amount of support spells and buffs(Mostly self). Combat style is usually to utilize magic to break up the enemy(Fog, wall of stone, reverse gravity), and then apply sword until the problem goes away. As a fairly full wizard, also sports the fun things like teleport, mansions, see invisibility.

From a power perspective, I intend to NOT take shapechange or celerity, as both are kind of incredibly OP.(I know me. I would celerity into Time Stop. This is bad. Shapechange I didn't think was too bad until I used it in a prior game, and discovered it is way, way too powerful). She should end up being a decently effective fighter(Although not as much as a dedicated fighter), be fairly durable(High AC, miss chances), and be able to provide support magic. Currently, she casts as a level 15 wizard, has a BAB of 15(Practical attack bonus of 34 with stats, Greater Magic Weapon, and Knowledge devotion). AC 30, but in practice that is likely to be 42 with shield and dragonskin active)

Spoiler: Fluff(Note: A lot of her backstory is related to the Last Mythal Trilogy)
    Show

Appearance:
    Eilyra is a fairly beautiful elf, wearing a backless white dress(With the front and back split, to allow uninhibited movement), with a silver and gold decorated green overdress. A platinum chain loops around her neck, supporting a ruby pendant that rests above her breasts. Her golden eyes seem to burn with an inner light, and golden hair that almost looks like it's on fire. She also has pair of leathery wings folded at her back, and a long thin tail, which is currently sitting in her lap. A thin silver circlet, marked in ancient elven circles her head, with a pair of similarly marked armbands on her wrists. A white fingerless glove adorns her left hand, while a pair of rings, worn with age and use adorn her fingers(One on each hand), and a fairly large brown leather pouch sits on her right hip. Her eyes look around the room, taking in her surroundings, and her movements are almost bird-like in their speed and precision.

Eilyra has pale skin and burning golden hair. She has a seductive beauty and classic elven features. Tall, and elegant. Her gold eyes burn like bright coals, and she has large, bat-like wings emerging from her back.

Personality: Aloof, unforgiving, regrets past actions, seeks redemption. Self-Sufficient. When reacting, tends to be ruthless, but if she has time to think, tries to move past her instincts. She always seeks any advantage she can get. Takes a very practical approach to ethics, rather than a moral one.

Backstory: Born a century before the final doom of House Dlardrageth to the Lady Xiiltharra, Eilyra was unlike her elder sister, Sarya. Rather than revel in the demonic power their father had given them, Eilyra choose to pursue her own power, rather than rely on the power of others. Thus, she studied the arts of wizardry, and swordplay, while her sister reveled in her blood. Of course, power is rather handy, and unlike Sarya, Eilyra had little chance of inheriting the House, but the possibility proved to be too much of a risk for her elder sister to tolerate, and soon after their mother was killed, Sarya demonstrated her superiority in the art of betrayal. Taken by surprise, Eilyra was banished into a hellish pocket plane, where she did not age, and did not hunger.
    There, she remained for millennia.
    When the Harpers used the Gatekeeper's Crystal, and inadvertently freed her sister, she remained imprisoned. It wasn't until six months later, when her sister had started a campaign that the Harpers returned. While they tried to gather information, they inadvertantly shattered Eilyra's prison, unleashing the half fiend on the world once more. Violence ensued, and Elyria walked away, richer in knowledge. Not wanting to be forced into another such situation she disguises herself as a young wild elf.
    Disguised, she sought news of her sister, and soon found herself joining Seiveril Miritar, although she made certain to remain well clear of the many anti-demon magics the army brought to bear. She fought well, but avoided notices, killing several of her kin along the way, and when the news came that the war was won, that her sister was dead, she celebrated, although for different reasons than the rest of the army.
    However, she declined the offer to settle in Myth Drannor, as she knew the mythal wouldn't tolerate her presence, and found herself wandering, aimlessly. At first, she sought to rebuild her power base, but after taking control of a bandit gang, she soon realized that there was little point to such things. Her name would be reviled for all of history, and should she ever be known, her sisters' enemies would almost certainly kill her, and not quickly.
    Instead, she chose a life of solitude, building her personal power, and seeking to recover the skills lost in her imprisonment. But it went slowly, so slowly, with much of her time and effort devoted to keeping hidden, rather than improving herself. Unsatisfied with the situation, she considers more... direct methods. And the Blood War, the endless war, practically jumps out at her. On the way, however, situations changed, and she found herself walking a different path than what she had intended, but a path that, perhaps would lead her to a more optimal solution.
    And at first, she thought she had found one. A group of Drow attacked her, and a few others(Verik, Nitrick, Captain Jack), and led to a series of adventures, culminating in stopping an alliance between Lloth, and most of the other abyssal powers, but... things did not turn out as she had hoped. Most of the tasks had came from demons, and along the way, certain good factions had been offended. Ultimately, while the effects were good... they were not well known enough, and working with demons was too suspect to see her to her goals. Lessons learned.

Spoiler: Actual build
    Show

Class selection, at this point, looks like Wizard(With Elf Generalist, Impromptu Metamagic, Spontaneous Divination, and Transmutation Domain ACF's)(All of which basically boil down to +1 spell per level, but only specific spells, +1 slot of the highest level, +1 spell known per level, can extend 5 spells per day, and can cast divination spells spontaneously(Going for the not insane reading here, wherein she needs to have the spells scribed to cast them.))
    Level 6 probably Incantatrix(No persist games are planned. Extend, also only taking 1 level until epic. Actual effect is trading a spell school(Enchantment) for a metamagic feat(Which one? I don't know yet.)), unless you have objections.
    From there, Swiftblade to 9(For Perpetual Options, which is why she can both sword things and cast disrupting spells. However, she won't have DC boosters, which tends to mean that her spells are not going to cut it against high CR enemies based on prior play)
    Then levels in Abjurant Champion.(On the grounds of swift action shield being awesome.)

If you have any issues or concerns, please let me know now, so I can fix her before selection. She should be complete now, except for spell selection, as you had requested.
    3 LA, which is fully brought off at level 18, which is where she sits(45k XP cost to buy off 3 LA, 11k at level 9(ECL 12), 16k at level 15(ECL 17), and 18k at level 18(ECL 19)
    Minor side note: You know you spent too much money on stat books when... your melee combatant is using a mundane greatsword at level 18.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2024-04-25 at 09:58 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings