1. - Top - End - #169
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: What drives a poor reputation for the Rogue class?

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    In the last game I played the party got into a fight with a large amount of skeletons of various types. My barbarian got a decent initiative roll, raged, and ran into the middle. The skeletons mobbed him, and he took a TON of damage. By combat's end, he had taken 184 damage (before resistances). But he was still standing, and more importantly, because he was in the middle of the field being threatening and easy to attack, the other party members could do their thing.

That's what I mean by tank. No it's not sticky-tanking in the MMORPG sense, it's "can you wade into the direct line of fire and absorb a ton of attacks/damage." Rogue can take a hit, thanks to uncanny dodge. But that's about bailing themselves out, it's not suitable for actual tanking.
    Sorry, I know this is a couple pages back (I'm just getting caught up), but this jumped out at me a bit for a couple reasons:
    •Would the Barbarian in question have survived without the DR from Rage? If not, that means no one else would have either, regardless of their "tanking" capability (such as a Fighter or Paladin or such).
    Everyone always seems to forget that part of Cunning Action is the ability to bonus action Dodge. I'd think a Moderately Armored Rogue who can Dodge every round without giving up their offense is in a better tanking position than their more traditional tanking contemporaries.

Edit: Well... dang. One day I'll learn not to post in the middle of the night while tired. Not today though. Thanks for the catch, Kane0.
    Last edited by Schwann145; 2024-04-25 at 04:19 AM.