Horned Fang, Roadkeeper, and ordinary townsfolk alike flee from the square. Coots cart is knocked over in the furor, but the old man himself has already scrambled away. Some clamp their hands on their ears to try to block out the wail of the tormented ghost as they flee. Kenia's eyes widen in shock and horror. She drops her cup with the last drops of Possum Punch and flees with the others. The only ones who don't run are Gregor and Kwella, who manage to maintain their composure against this frightful presence. The ghostly figure takes notice of them, but he is already fading and his voice slowly trails off.

"My cove... my cove is not safe. Many dangers threaten it, but this one is my fault. I brought it here, put everyone at risk, kept it secret. Took it to my grave. My cove needs heroes who will finish what I didn't"

The ghost trails off and fades from view. The town circle is quiet and empty aside from the two brave souls who managed to converse with it. After about thirty seconds, Kenia regains her composure and cautiously makes her way back. There's the sound of footsteps as a number of watchmen come to investigate what happened, but they are too late to see anything. They approach Gregor, hoping to get a straight answer. The scene is almost surreal, the toppled cart, mugs and cups strewn about, and puddles of punch on the ground, but no sign of what caused the situation to tranpsire.

"Gregor? What happened here?" one of the watchmen asks him in bewilderment.

"I can answer that question," an elven woman with long flowing black hair answers, having seemingly appeared out of nowhere. Kenia and Gregor recognize this as Audrahni. Gregor knows her as the newcomer in town who has taken up residence at the local temple a few years ago, and Kenia as the woman who gave her shelter last night. Audrahni approaches the location where the ghost manifested, then speaks, "that was the ghost of Sir Roderic. It's been many years since he last appeared, and he always seems to know when particularly bad trouble is coming,"

"Six people dead and now ghosts haunting the town circle in broad daylight? Captain Freson is not going to want to hear that," one of the watchmen shakes his head.

"It is the truth, and right now what the people need is reassurance that the cove is safe and protected," Audrahni points towards the growing crowd of worried and frightened townsfolk who are staying out of the circle, "right now, they need to be told that everything is safe and under control, even if it isn't," the watchmen frown, but with nothing else to do proceed to follow Audrahni's advice.

"I was walking to the circle when it happened, I saw it from over there. I saw you two hold your composure when faced with the anguish of Roderic's tormented spirit. That takes a very strong will. I'd like to discuss something with you, perhaps over bread and water?" she points towards the tavern a few paces away, then eyes Kenia who has returned to the scene. She gives a welcoming smile to her fellow elf and then invites her, "you should join us, too,"

Taking the three of you into the the Creekside Tavern, Audrahni selects a secluded table in the corner and orders bread and water as she promised. Her dark eyes drift from one of you to the next, sizing you up. At last she speaks, "I saw the confrontation that preceded Roderic's appearance, and how you tried to intervene and deescalate it. The cove needs people like you. It needs heroes who will try to put things right. The last time Roderic's ghost manifested, it was when a crime syndicate from Riddleport was on the verge of wresting control of the cove. His seemingly random hauntings served to uncover the schemes of Port-Governor Gildersleeves,"

Spoiler: Gregor only
Show
Gregor vaguely remembers the debacle. He was a child when it happened, but the people of Roderic's Cove practically rioted and forced the Port-Governor Jess Gilversleeves and her family to flee. The Gildersleeves were never heard from again, though presumably they still live in Riddleport. Larenza Thort took over as Port-Governor of Roderic's Cove shortly afterwards, and has held the position ever since.

"Roderic cares deeply for the cove, and is perhaps more aware of the happenings here than any living man or woman. If he is stirred to action, it means he has good reason to fear for its safety. Ever since I heard the story of Roderic's ghost, I've tried to find a way to ease him and allow him to let go and pass from this world. It's what I do, aid those who are grieving to let go and move on. But I never managed to find whatever it is that weighs so heavily upon him that he defies natural law and refuses his rest. I think you three are the right people to do this. Help Sir Roderic find peace, and it will help the whole cove,"