Quote Originally Posted by MagneticKitty View Post
I'm looking at Way of the Ascendant Dragon Monk with perhaps Fizban's Treasury of Dragons Metallic Silver Dragonborn for more breaths. or perhaps fizban's white dragon for temporary immunity to cold. I mostly picked cold because resistance to a type makes you not have to make cold weather checks and it wasn't fire (a commonly resisted type).
Have to say that while fire is one of the most commonly resisted damage type (after poison IIRC), but that doesn't mean it's commonly resisted relatively to how many beings there is in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticKitty View Post
I don't think taking a flying race will be allowed.
Way of the Ascendant Dragon will remedy to that, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
IMO, the BEST way to run a Monk is single classed no feats just alternate between +2 Dex and +2 Wis until both are 20.
I agree with this, if there isn't something specific the player want to use, DEX and WIS are always welcome for a Monk. And multiclassing costs more to Monks than most other classes, so if you're doing it it has to be worth the trade-off.

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
Once 20s are reached, I usually look for Mobile, or something to bring in some utility like Ritual Caster since Monks have zero utility.
Hard disagree on this, though. Monks have utility, even if some subclasses have more than others.

Personally I don't think Mobile is that great for Monks, either.

Regardless, Ascendant Dragon Monk is one of the most straightforward builds unless you're going for a gimmick.

Just use a staff with two hands for your Attack action until your Martial Art die catch up with the staff's two-handed damage, use the breaths as appropriate, and keep both DEX and WIS as high as possible, and it'll do great.