1. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: What drives a poor reputation for the Rogue class?

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    Rogue should absolutely positively without question get extra attack. They're a flippin' martial class!! I would throw extra attack, medium armor prof, and shield prof at them in a heartbeat. Give them options beyond dex-based builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    I will go on record saying with these changes there would be no reason to play any other martial class than rogue.
    Hard agree with Witty Username here. And for Skrum and Kurald Galain, here's a build for you to consider;

Race: V.Human
    Class: Rogue
    Standard Array: Str:15, Dex:13, Con:14, Int:10, Wis:12, Cha:8
    [Feats/ASI:
    1st: +1 Dex/+1 Con, Moderately Armoured (+1 Str)
    4th: +2 Str
    8th: Resilient (Con)
    10th: +2 Str

Skills: Acrobatics, Athleticsx, Insight, Intimidationx, Perceptionx, Sleight of Hand, Survivalx
    Equipment: Scale Armour (upgrading to Half-plate), Rapier or Shortsword, Shield, Hand Xbow
    HP at Level:
    1st: 10
    5th: 38
    9th: 75

This is one of my favourite baseline Rogue configurations that I'll adjust to taste and is largely my basis for comparison to other melee focused classes. Note also that I haven't included archetype into consideration. You don't need options to be baked into a class for them to be applicable and Moderately Armoured is actually a remarkably good feat for the Rogue if multiclassing isn't allowed and front-line combat is your desired goal. AC at level 1 is 18. Can any Fighter claim significant improvement on that (barring a ludicrously rich one that starts with full plate)? Is the (on average) additional 1+lvl hit points that a Fighter gets really that much of a game changer? Tack on the usual Rogue goodies and you do have a non-dex based, competent at a range of fields, front-line melee adventurer.
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2024-04-24 at 03:49 AM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.