1. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: What drives a poor reputation for the Rogue class?

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    In the last game I played the party got into a fight with a large amount of skeletons of various types. My barbarian got a decent initiative roll, raged, and ran into the middle. The skeletons mobbed him, and he took a TON of damage. By combat's end, he had taken 184 damage (before resistances). But he was still standing, and more importantly, because he was in the middle of the field being threatening and easy to attack, the other party members could do their thing.

That's what I mean by tank. No it's not sticky-tanking in the MMORPG sense, it's "can you wade into the direct line of fire and absorb a ton of attacks/damage." Rogue can take a hit, thanks to uncanny dodge. But that's about bailing themselves out, it's not suitable for actual tanking.

Rogue grappling is incredibly oversold, as talked about earlier in this thread. With expertise their athletics will roughly equal a str-based fighter. But they don't have extra attack, so it's a far bigger commitment of action resources to grapple, and they're worse at it than basically any class with extra attack.
    Not being able to out-tank a Barbarian is no sin, that's what that class was designed to do. And in general, yes I agree it's not the place where the Rogue shines. Same goes for grappling, if it could completely outshine the Fighter that wouldn't really make sense, but while perhaps overrated it holds it own and if you add some strength to the class it can be a solid grappler, especially if you dip 1 into Barbarian. Or if you go Arcane Trickster and grab enlarge.
    Last edited by Trask; 2024-04-23 at 09:27 PM.