1. - Top - End - #88
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What drives a poor reputation for the Rogue class?

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    Indeed, this is the primary reason why PvP happens in D&D!
    A bold claim.

You wouldn't happen to have anything to substantiate it, would you?
    Playing against other players is common and players bring a common game paradigm with them. The fact that some character archetypes pretty much beg to be pitted against one another suggests that it can be done. Never doing it is a missed opportunity.
    Your opinion is noted, and not in line with my experience in 20 years of D&D.
    Majority of people only dislike PvP in D&D because they think its specific rules mandate co-operative play, which, as noted, isn't as true as people claim. Only a minority dislike PvP in general, and most of them only because they're supremely sore losers.
    LMAO

So recently, the moon druid in our party rolled a sleight of hand check to nab a key off me. I find this kind of behavior supremely annoying. Nevermind that he's a little halfling and it's a giant-sized key and anyone would have clearly noticed the halfling trying to snatch this thing off me, he rolled Sleight of Hand and beat my Passive Perception.

I don't like it because it breaks trust. It also sets a precedent that if anything beats my Passive Perception it's open season. Were I a "supremely sore loser", I would have rolled my three attacks against the little halfling, used Action Surge to do it again, and ended his thieving life.

Instead, I allowed it to happen without complaint and moved along. I've played with this player for several years now and know that he enjoys going against the party. It's annoying AF, but it is what it is. In our last campaign, we all agreed not to hand over an artifact to an evil NPC, and when we showed up to the meeting without it, the player revealed that he had nicked the artifact and brought it with us and handed it over to the evil NPC.

I don't find "do the opposite of what the party wants just for the sake of it" to be particularly interesting or clever.
    Default expectations aren't preferences. A game's default settings aren't necessarily even the most fun way to play. Saying "this should carefully done" is as silly as saying setting up a game of Werewolf "should be carefully done". Consent? You tell players a game's settings before play, just like any other time, and see who applies. There's nothing exotic or particularly difficult about any of this.
    So you say. Clearly it's something you feel strongly about, that likely isn't the case at most tables.

Re Rogue: What Trask said.
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2024-04-23 at 08:17 PM.