It's funny to me that the comparison is "Barbarian who is fighting with the best combat-boosting feat for their class and has both Rage and Reckless Attacks already active, which maximizes the benefit of said feat, which is already an outlier" vs. "a Rogue using a fighting style that favors safety over damage". Of course the Rogue's going to look bad with that comparison.

I'm also not surprised that optimizers, who tend to go for an interpretation of the game that heavily favors classes that can nova are down on the Rogue, the class that has no real ability to nova (outside of a couple subclasses). The thing is that the Rogue shines in fights where you aren't free to dump your resources, because it doesn't cost them anything to sneak attack someone in the face.

Personally, I wish that they put in specific advice on how to treat Expertise and Reliable Talent when it came to skills, because boy howdy are those features powerful if the DM isn't inflating DCs to try to keep up. Seriously, look at these benchmarks:

Level 8 (-1) 10/12 (+0/+1) 14 (+2) 16/18 (+3/+4) 20 (+5)
11-12 Auto-pass Medium checks Auto-pass Medium checks Auto-pass Hard checks Auto-pass Hard checks Auto-pass Hard checks
13-16 Auto-pass Medium checks Auto-pass Hard checks Auto-pass Hard checks Auto-pass Hard checks Auto-pass Very Hard checks
17-20 Auto-pass Hard checks Auto-pass Hard checks Auto-pass Hard checks Auto-pass Very Hard checks Auto-pass Very Hard checks

Sure, it uses the loose-y goose-y-est part of the system, but Expert skills on a high-level Rogue should effectively be treated like low-grade superpowers by the party. Barring really extreme cases, the answer to whether or not the T3 Rogue with Acrobatics Expertise can do something acrobatic is an emphatic​ yes.