Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
To be honest, I've always felt that advantage from flanking is perhaps a little too much, given how (too) easy it makes getting advantage, and I've been wondering how to change it.

Maybe applying proficiency twice on attack rolls instead, effectively having expertise on said attacks? Or something else, like a flat +2 bonus to Hit, like in 3rd edition.
100% agree. This game has been going on for about 3 years. Something like 6 months or so after we started, people began to catch on that adv flanking was not a good rule, but the GMs of the game are weirdly opposed to doing anything about it. They all say it's a problem, but they won't change it. And thus 3 years goes by (why the heck I decided to play a barbarian in such a game, idk. Reckless and grappling are far less valuable when simple flanking does 85% of that work).

While in theory I like adding proficiency bonus, having a flat value has simplicity merits. +3 proficiency is where the bulk of playtime happens IME, so my favored solution is to say flanking provides a +3 bonus.