Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
I'm afraid you missed the point.

Suppose that instead of wording a wish, I'm asking you to lift a rock in a live-action roleplay. You can say "my character would be able to lift this", but the fact of the matter is that your character does not exist as an independent entity capable of doing things. The rock will only move by real people moving it. Hence, the character's supposed skills only exist as modifiers to what you, the player, have to do. For example, if your character is fantastically strong, I can make the rock out of styrofoam. You still have to lift it. If you still can't, then neither can your character.

With Wish, the character's skills are already factored in for the player to make any wish at all. The rock already is styrofoam. What the player brings to the table is the exact model of what their character brings to the table.
I would have to hard-disagree with the notion that a D&D character is meant to be an extension of the player. You could have a game where this is the case, but that is by no means the default assumption for the game.