Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Carlos View Post
So, we have been playing Rime of the Frostmaiden for 4 months (6 really, but we had a break) and I don’t like it as a DM. The whole thematic, setting and story doesn’t appeal to me that much anymore. They are now level 4 and I am not really excited for anything that comes after in this module. The sessions are still fun, but the prep isn’t.
Tomorrow is the next session. Any tips on how to approach this? Like, do I play until I have a new module ready and then suggest to switch? Or do I break it to the players and ask them what they want to do?
P.S.
I recently asked my players what they think about the campaign. One said, they are happy as long as we play DnD. One is pretty invested in the campaign and one says that the sandbox part was a bit long, but they are excited to get to „the meat of it“. And the last one asked if we could „level up“ the campaign a bit, because they want to play a bit higher level DnD, but are generally more or less happy.
Both players AND DM need to be enjoying themselves; or soon enough, your dislike of the prep and general module will show.
And you will either become "less interesting" as a DM to them, or, worse, punish the player characters, "just to get it over with."
Now that said, when "Horde of the Dragon Queen" first came out - I read through it, and loved the module. Thought it had a strong story and a cool concept.
However, once my players got to the floating castle (if you're familiar, you know) - they were supposed to be stealthy and be spies.
That wasn't their MO. They began murdering any cultist they could get alone. And after awhile, a body is going to turn up or cultists are gonna ask, "Hey. Anyone seen Jim Bob? He was supposed to show up to guard duty." "You know what, Joe Schmoe also didn't turn up." "And neither did Hickery Dickery." And it becomes clear that something is amiss.
So I ended up downing the castle, having the players help the giant rebel (just because it was a quick way to assure victory). And ran with my own stuff.
It was the one time I tried running a book/module in 5e, and I didn't care for it, myself.

So if you need to do it - and it seems over all the players are interested, keep whatever adventure you got going in that area - or, speed up the adventure (and potentially tone down the lethality of some of the monsters) to wrap it up sooner, and move on to another adventure.

No way you're going to probably pull all of this off in one night, but might be a good thing to consider doing in the future so everyone enjoys themselves.