... and typically, my players give me some details about their character, ask me to write up their backstory - I pass it to them, make sure they're good with it.

Now the reason I love a good page or so of backstory, is I tend to pull NPCs, towns, whatever, from a character's background, somewhere down the campaign - and it gives them a hook to really be interested in that particular story/plot that's unfolding. (I have an entire thread on this forum, like 38 pages or so deep, worth of people who have requested a backstory from me)

Recently one of my players mentioned he wants to (briefly) swap his character in the main campaign with another (reason being his main character's wife is currently pregnant and he wants to be there for the childbirth) - so he was going to bring in another character while that was happening. And I was very OK with that - but when he came at me and had a backstory already (it needed SOME work), I told him I was impressed with what he'd written, because he wasn't known for writing backstories (but was an excellent RP person - one of my favorites, as a matter of fact, from my main game). So I thought, "Oh, these ... six... seven years of RP through my D&D campaign taught him how to delve into a character history! Very cool."

Was not the case. He used ChatGPT and fed it some information about the new character, and what he wanted and it spit out a backstory. Again, needed some work, but overall was still pretty solid.

It was, admittedly, a little heart breaking because he didn't write it himself, and didn't come to me to ask - he used AI.

I don't hate AI, but for myself - creating campaigns is what helps my brain calm down, because it's a maelstrom of ideas (not just D&D, but writing in general whether it's D&D, stories, lyrics, poems, whatever the case may be). But I know not everyone has the thousand voices screaming in their head keeping them up at night.

So DMs (or heck, even players!) - how do you feel about using AI to generate backstories? Or, perhaps some DMs use AI to generate campaign ideas?