Quote Originally Posted by RSP View Post
Again, very similar to magic on the caster allowing them to command animals, fey, elementals, etc., they created. You’re just (rather arbitrarily it seems) deciding one is on the caster and one isn’t. There’s no reason a magic weapon can’t have magical properties (theres already plenty in the DMG).
Yes,
Spells like Eyebite, Glibless, and Eagle's splendor all make it easier to control others. And they definitely affect the caster.

Summons spells summon one specific creature, Conjure spells a set number that obey your commands. They read to me as similar to charm spells at the heaviest which affect the creature.*

I happen to think the ability to spawn a new sword every 6 seconds is more similar to the former, not the latter. It also feels like spells like Sunbeam, Detect Thoughts, Darkvision, and haste, which affect a character by giving them abilities.

* It could also be matter of disposition, as a Summoner I tend to RP such as allies. A holdover from an optional rule I rather liked in 3.5 where you could summon creatures in specific. You can read it however like in terms of individual spells, but you can command and a creature obey that command without compulsion - summons in Naruto is a good example of that conceptually.

Which does get into your other question, yes, I allow character to ride trained horses. I also allow them to command soldiers under their authority. Things like animal handling and Persuasion/Deception/Intimidation can definitely create scenarios where players can issue obeyed commands. Even creatures like demons and angels can follow directions with the right incentive.

Are characters in you games incapable of having pets or authority without spellcasting?