Quote Originally Posted by RSP View Post
Or, you know, it’s a legit question.
And I answered it as such on page 1. Also, the question of why it matters is very relevant to the discussion, and the only reason it matters is because Dispel Magic can dispel more than 1 thing when targeted at a person or object.

Quote Originally Posted by RSP View Post
For those wishing to discuss the topic.
But if you are actually interested in discussion, what is kind of being danced around is the question is really about how magic works in the game world, which is DM dependent. The books don't provide a clear answer (something that people are getting reminded of in the inconsistency of some rules).

The people in the camp that think Shadow Blade would be dispelled if the caster is targeted, believe that Shadow Blade (like most range self spells) is a magical buff or enhancement on the caster that grants the ability to manifest the Shadow Blade. If that buff is dispelled the blade goes with it. Despite what some people think there is nothing in the spell that contradicts this view.

But clearly that is not the only take. There is also the view that even range self spells create things (like Shadow Blade), and only those things can be targeted by Dispel Magic if you want to dispel them. There is nothing really to contradict this view in the spells either.

There is also the view/idea that if you are concentrating on a spell, then you have some link to it, and being Dispel Magic can also break that link and end the spell. As far as I am aware there is nothing in the rules to contradict this either (though arguing specific wording of Dispel Magic is possible).

Personally, I am in the buff camp, because I think that is more internally consistent. I also like the concentration link aspect for a similar reason, and I find it to be more balanced.