Quote Originally Posted by GeneralVryth View Post
Whether it's admitted or not now, it was hinted at earlier in thread. Basically, this entire debate is spawned from not wanting more buffs dispelled when Shadow Blade is.
Or, you know, it’s a legit question.

____

For those wishing to discuss the topic, I find it odd that a spell that creates an object is not viewed as similar to spells that create or summon creatures.

My understanding is it’s generally accepted that DM on the caster of a Summon or Conjure spell will not dispel the summons or conjures. Likewise, casting DM on a creature summoned or conjured will only affect that creature, and not others summoned or conjured with the same spell.

Yet it seems hypocritical to state the reforming of the SB as a spell on the caster, while ignoring that Summons and Conjures allow continued control (sometimes even via a BA) over the creatures summoned/conjured. Is the control over the creatures not a magical effect of the spell cast?

Why is it a property of the caster to reform a weapon (a la the returning property of some magic items), but a property of the creature when the caster gets to control them?

And yeah, reading it, Spirit Guardians is a Conjuration spell that summons spirits, which doesn’t appear to actually affect the caster. In fact, the caster has no control over who the spirits affect once the spell is cast. For instance, if a PC is invisible when the SG is cast, they can’t be included in the creatures unaffect (which you need to be able to see). The caster can’t decide “add them to the unaffected list” at a later point: the spirits aren’t following commands.

I think there’s plenty there to say it’s not a spell affecting the caster.