Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
The breath weapon should've been a factor for the rogue. Evasion only applies to dex saves where if you succeed you take half damage. A green dragon's breath weapon is constitution save for half.

The second thing to do is use legendary action to fly 40 feet into the air, if the dragon starts on the ground then after the first player ends their turn the dragon is now 40 feet up.

Hey that's one great call out that could have changed everything. You're right that the Green dragon has Con saves instead of Dex like the rest of them. I missed that completely. In the second combat the Rogue took one breath weapon and passed it's Dex save for no damage when it should have done a Con save for half. I don't remember now what that roll was or if it would have passed the Con save or not, but it potentially could have KO'd the Rogue. The Rogue still had +3 to Con saves + Bless + Ring of Protection + Lucky so there's a reasonable chance it would have passed anyway. The Rogue also has 1 level of Divine Soul Sorcerer so could have also added 2d4 to that save if needed. I never had to use Favored by the Gods. The Rogue would have survived half damage, but would have rolled a Con check to keep Bless up.

In the first combat, during the Rogue's turn I had it roll Perception to assess it's surroundings as it wasn't close enough to attack anybody at that time. I could have had it do it's Wing Attack against nobody just to fly up, and maybe I should have, but I felt like it was a "get away from me" ATTACK option that didn't make sense with the closest enemies 40ft away. The Barb was 2nd in the turn order and immediately grappled it. I think that was just lucky. Had ANY other character gone next and attacked the dragon, I would have had it fly up for sure.

Yes I swapped dragons last minute rolling a D6 to see what dragon color we fought. Honestly I thought a Red would be too hard so gave the options to face the slightly weaker ones instead.

I'll redo it using a Red next time, and I'll start with much more distance. That will give the party a couple rounds to get going and see if I can come up with a better strategy for the Bard. I can also give the Barb a longbow. The Pyro Sorcerer has Eldritch Blast from Spell Sniper so it can hit from 240ft and also not HAVE to spend all Sorcery points on Transmute Spell. I could even "cheat" and swap out one of her metamagic's for Distant Spell which she doesn't have lol.