View Single Post

Thread: Do caster out of combat options matter?

1. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Do caster out of combat options matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    Level 1 Spells
    Charm Person
    Comprehend Languages
    Detect Magic
    Disguise Self
    Feather Fall
    Find Familiar
    Unseen Servant
    Identify

Level 2 Spells
    Augury
    Knock
    Misty Step
    Suggestion

Level 3 Spells
    Clairvoyance
    Fly
    Speak with Dead
    Water Breathing

Level 4 Spells
    Dimension Door
    Divination
    Fabricate
    Locate Creature?? Arcane Eye??

Level 5 Spells
    Contact Other Plane
    Passwall
    Teleportation Circle
    Scrying??

Where is the combat stuff? And if you remove some of these spells to get the combat stuff, does the campaign now suck because you can't deal with out of combat stuff with one of the spells you didn't grab? Many of these spells have been mentioned in this thread, so just trying to understand what these wizards look like. And remember, we're not co-DMing here and we don't want DM fiat, so don't assume you're scribing extra spells into your spellbook from scrolls and other books!
    If that is a wizard's spellbook and they never get to meaningfully use those spells then yes, the campaign sucks. I'd put the bar at around 25%, if you don't meaningfully contribute at least 6 times with those spells then it's a bad campaign.

Where's the combat stuff? In the other PCs character sheet. Combat is only 1 of 3 pillars. And you are only 1 of 3-6 players. A wizard with that spellbook is a godsend to a party in a well written campaign.

Edit- I feel I need to stress this. It's not all or nothing, sort of. It's something or nothing. A DM who wants the players to go to another plane but doesn't make that possible will have to get comfortable with failure. But if it doesn't even matter that the cleric just so happens to have the right tuning fork, then we have a problem.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2024-04-16 at 04:12 PM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal