Quote Originally Posted by lajiboi View Post
I'm looking for some help fleshing out my BBEG. He was the younger brother of a king and made a deal with a devil (or in some way used the assistance of devils) to kill the king and queen so that he could ascend to the throne. (Of course, the king's daughter managed to escape and will try to reclaim the throne during the campaign.) My issue is that devil contracts are complicated and I'm struggling to figure out exactly what sort of deal he has made and how much assistance he's able to get from the devil.

I also have a plan for one of the first combat encounters to be a fight with some devils that he has summoned. This will take place years after the BBEG kills his brother, once the princess has grown up. Would he still be able to call on the assistance of this devil years later? My concern is that devil contracts are typically short-lived, so I don't think he'd be able to repeatedly call on a devil or devils to do his bidding over many years.

Another tricky part is I don't want the players to know that he summoned the devils, so I would like for him to be able to summon them from afar. I was thinking this could be done by having one of his minions drop an amulet or some other magical item that would create a portal or summoning circle. The players will be able to see the amulet, which will provide them with a clue, but they won't know who dropped it or where it came from.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this! Any ideas are welcome.
Perhaps the devils themselves use other pacts with other creatures to obtain their goals with this pact. The PCs work their way through some of them, gradually realizing that these enemies are all under contract with devils. Who else might be under contract? With which devils? For what goal?