Quote Originally Posted by Schwann145 View Post
For folks not bothered by something like "adding a spell slot," have you considered that the caster could repeat that Wish daily? How would that change your opinion, if at all?
Credence actually put it well. If there is a method already available in the rules for someone to get something, such as via a Boon, I'll use it. Because I have Wish take a path of least resistance on top of being a Monkey's Paw. Plus I take the sentence "the greater the wish, the greater the likelihood that something goes wrong" and run with it. Wishing for one extra 9th level spell slot? If you word it properly, you'll get the Boon. But if you don't word it carefully, you might just regain all 9th level spell slots you've used for the day while still suffering from the Stress of casting Wish.

Wish for a third 9th level slot? Well, you now have a greater chance of something going wrong. You might permanently lose a number of spell slots that add up to a 9th level spell slot, like permanently losing a 1st and 8th level slot in exchange for a 9th level slot. But it all boils down to how well you can rules lawyer in a sentence or three.

And never forget the chance to never cast Wish again.