View Single Post

Thread: Star Wars: The Acolyte official trailer

1. - Top - End - #267
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte official trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The separatist leaders were all at the arena as well, and I believe the Jedi knew that. Its possible they planned a double rescue/capture, and the execution just forced the timing to be wrong. The Jedi clearly showed up before the Clones did, which is not that improbable since they had fewer logistics to worry about, get to geonosis, see that the excrement has hit the oscillator, and move in to save their friends before they get eaten, not having been able to get in position quite as well as they would have liked.
    So here's the bedrock of my problem with the prequels - they never try to tell us that. At this point, the separatists haven't tried to separate, there is no war, presumably nothing illegal has been done. Everyone operates more on audience knowledge than character knowledge. We see the leaders of the bad guys there, we see the main characters there, so the Jedi and clones go there. There's no in-universe reason give in story for everyone ro show up there all of a sudden, having seemingly all sort of knowledge they should not have. My impression was that Lucas was so concerned with getting all the pieces in place that he never considered explaining why those pieces were in place. Why are the Jedi mounting a rescue when they don't know Anakin has been captured? Why are they sending a hundred Jedi? Why are they backed with an army? Why do they know exactly where it's all going down? It's all surface level in-for-the-ride, nothing has any actual in-story reason for happening other than because it needs to for the next story beat and/or to look cool with way too much CGI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I will concede, they could theoretically have decided to let Anakin, Padme and Obi-wan die, but I would argue that their role as Jedi would not have actually allowed them to make that decision in practice, under any circumstances.
    Imean, sure, if they knew they were in danger of execution. But, again, they have no way of knowing this. And even then, if they calculated that they'd need a hundred Jedi and a literal army to pull it off, maybe the deaths of three people would be less than the deaths of more than three people, which anyone could reasonably expect the outcome to be. If you want to argue they'd want to save the Chosen One, they send that dude on potentially deadly missions constantly, as we are told and see in Episode 2. They clearly trust him to be able to handle himself on missions.

ETA: We also know that this isn't SOP for the Jedi just because one doesn't check in for a minute. There was no Jedi strike force that appeared on Naboo for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-04-15 at 10:13 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1