For me its just easier world building to have stuff like the baseline default spells function normally. If that means treating planar tuning forks like Boots of Flying then that's fine. But I wouldn't consider barring a sorcerer who picked Plane Shift for casting the spell to be reasonable. It'd be like saying there's no teleport circles anywhere ever if they chose the teleport spell. I may as well stiff the fighter by saying there's no magic weapons in the setting or changing all the strength saves to dexterity saves.

Having stuff like portals, just to make it so noncasters can go plane hopping, is either going to involve considering the effects of the portals on the setting or getting called out for bull **** when the crap world building fails fridge logic. Its flat out more work as a GM. If you're running a railroad plot then making sure the PCs can always get to the next plot point is required so things don't collapse if nobody rolls a wizard or something. But if you build sandboxes or hex crawls with stuff like flying cloud castles or underwater civilizations then you're either doing more work to enable noncasters to participate or locking out parties without the right spells.

Yeah, adding extra stuff to enable noncaster parties to play parts of the game is extra work for the GM. At that level the caster noncombat stuff matters. It also matters that if everything done by noncombat spells is available by other means, in order to let noncasters play at the same game as casters, then the casters can ditch those spell picks and load up on all the best combat spells all the time. Personally, I'm happy when a player of a caster agonizes over choosing combat vs noncombat spells because both are equally useful and they don't have enough picks to get both.